Sensor cleaning: solution A+B or B only?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

Sensor cleaning: solution A+B or B only?

Postby jonpaul » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:05 pm

Hello all: I have IQ180 and Contax 645.

Somehow I get spots on the sensor, despite leaving it on the camera except to change bodies or to clean. The spots are large, and seem to be dried liquid, not dust.

The P1 recommended procedure is to use the paddle and wipes wetted first with "A" cleaner and afterwards with "B" alcohol.

http://www.phaseone.com/en/search/artic ... nguageid=1

I am very wary of the P1 "A" (blue) cleaner as it never seems to entirely be removed by the subsequent alcohol "B" (clear) solution, regardless of how many wipes are done!

How many of you use only or mostly the clear "B" and how many still use the recommended "A" and then "B" procedure?

Anyone found a better method, or solution?

Kind Regards,

Jon Paul
Crypto-Museum
jonpaul

Re: Sensor cleaning: solution A+B or B only?

Postby Jon » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:12 pm

In the many years I have been cleaning backs... both at Phase One and before Phase One I follow this procedure:

1. blow everything off with the hand powered dust rocket. The ones from Giottos and Visible Dust are great.
2. If anything remains use solution B only.
3. If something is really stubborn, then use solution A followed by solution B 1-2 times. The key is to not use too much of the blue stuff.

If you don't want to deal with the paddles and wrapping them with the Digi-clean pads check out the Visible Dust swabs in medium format size.. they are absolutely fantastic.
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby jonpaul » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:29 pm

Dear Jon! MANY THANKS this is exactly the info I needed.

Here is a note I just got from a very experienced P1 Dealer's tech representative:

"Everyone tends to do the IR filter cleaning a bit differently. The A fluid is a soap based cleanser that is very effective at removing attached particles and moisture spots on the filter. It does however leave a rather distinct residue. My method is to normally just use the B fluid and only resort to the A if the B doesn't get the job done. After using the A fluid, I find it necessary to clean 2-4 times with the B solution to remove the residue.

Practice makes perfect is the rule."

Enjoy!

Jon
jonpaul

Postby jonpaul » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:50 am

Hello all: I did the procedure with the DigiClean kit included with the IQ180. It works fine, but the included lint free wipes are not lint free!

In cleaning right to the edges of the sensor, fibers tear off the wipe due to the sharp edges of the metal, and lodge under the metal frame with tiny philips screws that surrounds the sensor IR filter.

These fibers are stuck and do not come off with any amount of blown air or using the procedure again. They are so close to the IR filter, it seems dangerous to try to pull them off with tweezers. I am interested to know if anyone else noticed this problem, and in Phase One staff response, as to how to fix this.

Many thanks,

Kind Regards,

Jon
jonpaul

Postby Jeff12 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:14 pm

I do not use the P1 cleaning kit. I use Visible dust sensor loupe, Arctic butterfly, Sensor clean solution and swabs.

For me the P1 kit never did a good job and the solutions leave a hazy residue that can be difficult to remove.
Jeff12

Postby NN79422 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:04 pm

I tried to clean my P25 back with Digi Clean but I did´nt have success. After a time, the points are appearing again
Would you like to explain me exactly which liquid I need to clean my back and the procedure ??
Best Regards
Perla Berant
NN79422

Postby NN99869UL11 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Hi,
after some years of cleaning problems with the P1-Kit I found an answer:
I clean it exactly as described in the manual. Except for solution B, I use 2 wipes
on top of each other. I don't know exactly why, but it works perfect. Try it out.
Regards,
Ben
NN99869UL11

Postby rapdigital » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 am

The wipes that ship with Leaf Backs ROCK!!!! they are lint free (no really) and thicker than the digi-clean version. They aren't cheap though like $2 per wipe at my local dealer but they are great. I think they are made by clean-clear out of germany.

I have the Sinar cleaning kit that has an A and B solution and the A Solution seems to not leave as much residue as the digi-clean but I can't be definite about that coz I really use it. I like the steel paddle but a lot of shooters that I'm cleaning back for FREAK when they see it. :roll: Wimps
rapdigital
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN634706698701211980UL » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:42 am

Is there any negative feedback on using the Arctic Butterfly?
Thanks
Phil
NN634706698701211980UL

Postby Drew » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:31 pm

NN634706698701211980UL wrote:Is there any negative feedback on using the Arctic Butterfly?
Thanks
Phil

Anytime you use a tool that physically touches the IR filter, you run a greater risk of scratching the surface.
I would personally not have hesitation using it but I can't condone it's use from an official position.
Use at your own risk.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby arvedg » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Sorry for bringing this thread up again. Does anybody have experience or concerns with cleaning the P1 (IQ) sensors using the Sinar micro fiber cloths and ethanol 96?

Thanks,
Arved
arvedg

Postby Matt32 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:34 pm

Sinar cloths and the Eclipse solution or the B solution that comes with the back are all I use.

The wipes that come with the digital back should be immediately thrown away as they are complete garbage, not sure why they are even included.
Matt32

Postby arvedg » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:51 am

Hi Matt, thanks for your help! Best, Arved
arvedg

Postby Brunetti » Fri May 22, 2015 9:19 am

dont laugh: i am using pure gelatin. It is cheap, absolutely clean and bio :-) Pour the viscous liquid slowly and carefully on the glass, be careful not to touch the edges and margins. The thickness should be approx. 1mm. Let it dry until it gets doughy, then peel it off. You can put a strip of paper on it at the begining, then it's easyer to peel.
Brunetti

Postby Paqart » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:40 pm

I used up my whole box of wipes that came with my Phase One kit and never had less than about 15 noticeable sensor spots. I then bought a cleaning kit for fifty euros at my local photo shop and it cleaned the sensor quite well on the first try. I had to clean it again after returning from a long shoot in Thailand where I was changing lenses in a jungle, but again, it worked quite well. Maybe other posters have a much better technique for using the cleaning kit supplied by Phase, but I had really poor results with it. The kit That works is designed for DSLR systems, so the shape of the support for the cloth is wrong, and this is the only real issue that might force me to clean it more than once, but it still works fine.

AP
Paqart

Return to Phase One IQ4, IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs