White line error with IQ3-100

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

White line error with IQ3-100

Postby Paqart » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:20 pm

This has happened multiple times, but I cannot repeat it at will. The back has been to Denmark 2-3 times to get this fixed, but the problem is still there. Last night, the error appeared twice in two separate focus stacks. It is hard to spot usually, because it might be a single pixel horizontal line, usually white, running through the entire picture horizontally about a third of the way into the frame. The worst I've seen, the line is around eight pixels thick, because there is about three pixels of anti-aliasing on either side of a two pixel center.

So far, I have only seen this with focus stacks, and only see it because putting it through the focus stacking tool makes it easier to see. Once detected, it can be difficult to find the image the error belongs to.

Has anyone else seen this?
Paqart

Re: White line error with IQ3-100

Postby John232 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:56 pm

I've read over the years where people have experienced random lines and such - if it a different row each time, those issues have been traced back to things like - shutter timing (sync cables with tech cameras), latency settings on the back, power and compact flash cards. The key aspect here is that the error is different rows (seemingly random).

If the problem is same row then it's more likely sensor related, such as a dead or hot pixel. Shoot some images with the lens cap on at ISO 6400 or higher. Pull into C1 and shift exposure +2 or +3. Make sure the noise reduction is disabled (in C1). After a couple images you might be able to spot a row that is continually failing. Dead pixels are a pretty easy fix with a new calibration file for the camera that instructs the in-camera to ignore a specific pixel.
John232

Return to Phase One IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs