Why bother with a fixed mount

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series digital camera backs.

Why bother with a fixed mount

Postby Nicolas41 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:32 am

Hi there dear Phase people!
I'm a photographer working on multiple legacy systems with both V and H mounts. I'm working off an IQ150 at the moment and really enjoying the CMOS chip but hating the crop.
First question:: is there the possibility of a 100MP CMOS chip on either mount or is Phase saving that for its own system?

And secondly, purely out of interest: why bother with fixed mounts on digital backs? If lenses can attach and detach to a body with suitable tolerances, and those same lenses can attach to different systems with adaptor rings still within precise tolerances (think a Leica R lens on an EOS body) then why not build a back with an interchangeable mount system?
I must assume its a money making thing for Phase and I understand that but I wonder if there could be any other reason.

Many thanks and all the best,
NN
-
Bring it on!
Nicolas41

Re: Why bother with a fixed mount

Postby Ulf » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:55 am

HI
The IQ 100MP only exist now in Phase One mount or Hasselblad H mount.
Reason for this is that both Contax mount and Hasselblad V mount has, in percent of total sales volume, gone down to such low level that it not longer make sense to develop and put in production.

When it comes to multi mount backs, we have some competitors that have had backs with this historically but with grave consequences to tolerances in terms of keeping the focus plane intact.

If you are looking for a swiss army knife where you can attach almost any lens to work with your camera back then the Alpa FPS is a excellent option:
https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/alpa-12-fps
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nicolas41 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks Ulf, the economic angle makes sense of course.
Do you know if Phase makes custom order backs? Say a full frame CMOS chip with a V mount?

Thanks!
-
Bring it on!
Nicolas41

Postby Ulf » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi
As I mentioned the 100mp (Only full frame CMOS) only exist in Phase One mount and Hasselblad H mount.
The 50mp (cropped CMOS) does exist in V mount.
An option could be to use a Phase One XF body with Waist level finder (If this is what you like about the Hasselblad V) and a V lens adapter.
Now you can use your V lenses with the possibility to use focus assist and light metering.
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Ca ... tform.aspx
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Phase One IQ3, IQ2 and IQ1 series camera backs