MacBook Pro not working with H20 and Portable Solution

Question regarding:Phase One H25, H20, H101, H10, H5, LightPhase, PowerPhase FX / FX +, PowerPhase, PhotoPhase and StudioKit.
Leaf Valeo, C-Most, Cantare, Volare and DCB.

MacBook Pro not working with H20 and Portable Solution

Postby Keith21 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:26 am

After a seminar last summer with Walter Borchenko, I was comfortable with my recent purchase of a new MacBook Pro. During the seminar, a glitch with the Intel processors when shooting tethered was discussed. Shooting with a firewire repeater was the suggested solution. I was told my Phase One Portable Solution (repeater and battery combination) would resolve any potential problems shooting with my H20 and an Intel Mac (It wasn't necessarily Walter who said this but was a consensus among the experts at the seminar).
Alas, it isn't working.
I've tried the Portable Solution with the battery on (it will keep the camera connection for a few shots but will only work briefly with the battery at full charge--i.e., right after it's removed from the charger). I tried it with the battery disconnected and, on one occasion, it worked for quite a while. However, it really doesn't work reliably enough to use on a job with nervous clients looking over my shoulder wondering if I know what I'm doing.
I've heard about the powered Belkin repeater solution but have been warned that a Belkin with a less than precise electrical output could permanently damage the H20. And, of course, what's the Portable Solution worth in all of this: Is it of no further value?
Thank you for whatever help can be provided.

Keith Seaman
Keith21

Postby Jon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:41 pm

Hello,

The Belkin hub that we recommend is: http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductP ... _Id=193393

As for you portable solution it sounds like your battery is no longer holding a charge. It may be time for a new one. The repeater should not be expected to function properly without a battery since the H20's problem with the MacBook Pro is the lack of sufficient power from the firewire bus.
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby Pascal1 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:10 pm

Check, the firmware of your H20. That's could be the problem. To resolve this upgrade your firmware or click on the \"tool panel\" of C1 just below the \"Camera status\" a \"mirror high level\" or \"mirror up\" or somethinks like that, my C1 is in French :roll: and you resolve this trouble.. With my H20 on my Hasselblad V, that was the solution for me.
Pascal1

H20 Problems

Postby William211 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:20 pm

The original portable solution for the H20 uses a lead-acid battery. Unlike most batteries, if you let a lead-acid battery completely lose its charge, it cannot be recharged. By the way, B&H Photo, <www>, sells direct replacement Panasonic PV-BP50 lead acid batteries for $34.95 USD.
William211

Postby Pascal1 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:27 pm

I don’t use a New MacBookPro, but I use a portable solution since 7 years and I never used a battery.. With your Mac that’s not neccessary. I never charged mine.. With a PC, yes, you don’t have a current one the cable but with Mac, no.. Before I buy this repetitor I had sometimes problems because of the quality of the current and not only with the laptop. Particularly with the cables lengh. Since I use it, on \"I\" position, as much on laptop as on CPU. Two cables of 4 meters with repeater between them work better than a long cable only. :wink:
Pascal1

Postby James 7 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:48 am

Have you \"un-checked the put hard disks to sleep\" option in the power saving prefs and set the battery to better performance rather than better life?
"Beauty is in the eye of the Tiger"

http://www.jim90.com
http://jim90blog.blogspot.com
James 7

Postby Jon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Pascal D. wrote:I don’t use a New MacBookPro, but I use a portable solution since 7 years and I never used a battery.. With your Mac that’s not neccessary. I never charged mine..

Actually with MacBook Pro you do the battery on the portable solution. The reason is that the MBP outputs around half the bus power that the Powerbooks did. Powerbooks supplied just barely enough bus power to run most backs, but since they were on the edge as they got older the power would drop slightly and connection and power problem would occur. With the MBP there is just not anywhere near enough power to properly run a back.
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One and Leaf Legacy one-shot and scan camera back