xMedia and InDesign CS5 previews not working

Discussions about Expression Media

xMedia and InDesign CS5 previews not working

Postby Dudikowski » Sat May 29, 2010 5:25 pm

Hello there Phase One. Nice to make your acquaintance. I wish you the best of luck with this great software.

We use xMedia at work for our digital archive - photos, design documents and vector graphics etc.

I've just started to use Indesign CS5 and was very glad to see that they've increased the number of preview pages. The preference setting can now be: First page, First 2, 5 or 10 pages or All pages.

We use Sneak Peek Pro for previewing Indesign files in Mac OS X. This plugin has been updated for CS5 and the multi page previews works fine.

I tested Indesign CS5 files with Expression Media SP2 and unfortunately it doesn't work at all. No preview and it doesn't even recognize it as a DTP file.

This is an InDesign CS3 file. On top of xMedia is a Quicklook of the same file for comparison. Right click the image and open in a new window to break out of the cropped area or look here.

This is an InDesign CS5 file. On top of xMedia is a Quicklook of the same file for comparison where you can see the multi page preview. Right click the image and open in a new window to break out of the cropped area or look here.

Conclusion

1. The biggest issue for us is that there is no preview at all. It makes it impossible for us to archive any InDesign CS5 files.
2. It would of course be extremely useful if a future update of xMedia also would acknowledge these multi page previews somehow.

I dont know if this was the right place to start but at least now there is a reference to point at about this problem.
Dudikowski

Re: xMedia and InDesign CS5 previews not working

Postby Dudikowski » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:23 am

Could someone at PhaseOne perhaps comment on this issue? Is it being taken care of? Your lack of information is starting to be frustrating...

The dream solution would of course be to incorporate the way OS X can flip through pages at the icon level.

Dudikowski

Postby Drew » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Please create a support case if you are trying to reach Phase One directly, this is a User to User forum and although we do monitor it on a daily basis it is not the best place to get direct service from us.
http://www.phaseone.com/My-Account/Logi ... pport.aspx
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Dudikowski » Wed May 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Drew wrote:Please create a support case if you are trying to reach Phase One directly, this is a User to User forum and although we do monitor it on a daily basis it is not the best place to get direct service from us.
http://www.phaseone.com/My-Account/Logi ... pport.aspx

I tried your link and I think you need to have another look at this contact support page. You made a fine mess with it.

I want to create a support case for a software but I must fill in 2 obligatory fields about cameras to get passed page 1? I don't even own a camera.

I fill in Operating system and software and fake the other fields but then page 2 will have follow up questions about the camera back I faked ... well the story ends there... this is a joke.

Dudikowski

Postby Drew » Thu May 12, 2011 4:39 am

Dudikowski wrote:I tried your link and I think you need to have another look at this contact support page. You made a fine mess with it.

As we are a Digital Camera company we do make the assumption (perhaps foolishly) that you are using a Digital Camera. So, the Operating System and Software should be pretty straight forward. From there we need to know what Camera you are having conflict with (if its not a RAW file from a camera then choose something like 'DNG' for a file type. Had you chosen a camera that requires a Digital Back, the option below that would be necessary... in your case you can ignore it.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby deboni » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Has this issue ever been resolved? I'm trying to preview InDesign CS5 docs in Phase One Media Pro Version 1.3.2.58847

Indesign just shows up as ID icon.

I have set the correct preferences in InDesign to save thumbnails with the documents.

I have been a customer since iView, made all the updates with Expression Media and consider now buying Media Pro.
deboni

Postby Dudikowski » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:55 pm

I'm using CS6 these days and it works fine. I can't test with CS5 but I think it should work with latest MediaPro. Install the free trial and test it.
Dudikowski

Return to Expression Media