EM on Mac OS Mavericks?

Discussions about Expression Media

EM on Mac OS Mavericks?

Postby syncrasy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:08 am

Has anyone tried running Expression Media on the new Mac OS 10.9 "Mavericks"?
— Mark
Camera & Computer: Nikon D500, D7100 • Mac Pro (mid 2010), various OSs
DAM: Media Pro SE
Image Editors: Nikon Capture NX 2, NX-D • Photoshop CS6

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Re: EM on Mac OS Mavericks?

Postby ykPete » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:18 am

for me, so far so good. macbook air. Simple catalog. haven't integrated it into a big catalog til i'm totally confident. Zero problems so far tho.

peter
ykPete

Postby syncrasy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 am

ykPete wrote:for me, so far so good. macbook air. Simple catalog. haven't integrated it into a big catalog til i'm totally confident. Zero problems so far tho.

Thanks for the info! Keep us posted once you've tried a big catalog. I'm holding out as long as I can on Snow Leopard (too much other hardware and software that won't work on Mavericks), but it's good to know EM might work when I have to upgrade my OS.
— Mark

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Postby NNN634631923708376571 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm trying to use EM2 with Mavericks. 2 problems, the first one minor - folders don't change colour when set to auto-up date. Second problem is major and probably a deal-breaker for me, unless someone knows a solution - when I import either .dng or .NEF files into the catalogue, EM2 won't show the embedded full-size previews in slideshow or light table, only the low res thumbnails. This seems to apply only to my most recent raw files run through the latest version of ACR, not to older files processed in CS3. If anyone has any ideas I'd be pleased to hear them, before I go down the Lightroom route.

Alex
NNN634631923708376571

Postby ykPete » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:44 am

Folder update is shown by an arrow in the folder icon. As to importing, DNGs are fine for me. I don't leave files in NEF so can't comment.

peter
ykPete

Postby syncrasy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 pm

I've decided to dip my toe into the "EM on Mavericks" experience by creating a Mavericks partition on my Snow Leopard machine. I tested EM using a copy of my main EM catalog of 17,000+ images (primarily Nikon NEF files and derivatives). Apart from the aforementioned lack of green color on auto-update folders, I haven't found any other problems with EM on Mavericks. My NEF previews are displayed as before (only original previews, not previews modified by Capture NX2). I haven't tested every feature, but those that I did test -- Search, Light Table, Web Galleries, batch rename, and hierarchical keywords -- appear to work very smoothly.

The one problem that I can foresee is not being able to catalog images from newer model cameras that aren't supported by EM. The only solution to that problem that I know of is to purchase Apple Aperture and make sure to get the latest Apple Digital Camera RAW Compatibility updates. (Digital Camera RAW requires either Aperture or iPhoto installed on the computer.) But given what I've read and seen of Media Pro, I'd rather buy Aperture -- even if I never use it -- than pay for Media Pro.

So it appears I have a future with EM after all -- at least as long as I have Mavericks, and as long as my catalog size is under the EM limits.
— Mark

(as of 2018)
syncrasy

Return to Expression Media