Problem generating thumbnails from TIFs

Discussions about Expression Media

Problem generating thumbnails from TIFs

Postby robgo2 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:56 pm

I am in the processing of cataloging folders of images taken over many years. When I import a folder into EM 2.02, it has no problem generating thumbnails for files that are in raw, PSD or JPEG format, but cannot do so with most TIFs or TIFFs. I say most, because sometimes it does create a thumbnail. What I see instead is an icon. If I double click on the icon, I get a message: "No importer found for media file."

This failure is making my task difficult. Is there an explanation and a solution? I am using a Mac running OS 10.6.8

Rob
robgo2

Re: Problem generating thumbnails from TIFs

Postby Dave Heap » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:37 am

Which Rendering Engine are you using "Apple" or "Manufacturer"?

I've had no problems with TIFFs, apart from some not having decipherable built-in thumbnails (in particular, Windows Adobe CS4 compressed 16 bit TIFFs), but easy fixed by unchecking "Use built-in thumbnails (if available)"
Dave Heap

Re: Problem generating thumbnails from TIFs

Postby robgo2 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:49 am

Dave Heap wrote:Which Rendering Engine are you using "Apple" or "Manufacturer"?

I've had no problems with TIFFs, apart from some not having decipherable built-in thumbnails (in particular, Windows Adobe CS4 compressed 16 bit TIFFs), but easy fixed by unchecking "Use built-in thumbnails (if available)"

I am using the Apple rendering engine, but I thought that applies only to raw files. I have tried checking and unchecking the "Use Built-in thumbnails" box, but it does not seem to make a difference. A weird thing that I have noticed is that when I first begin the importing process, the TIFF thumbnails may be present, but they soon disappear and are replaced by an icon.

Rob
robgo2

Problem Solved!

Postby robgo2 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:41 pm

All of the TIFFs that failed to generate thumbnails were very large files. I solved the problem by selecting the icons of the relevant images and then Actions > Rebuild item. This resulted in the creation of thumbnails. I had to go through all of my catalogs to perform this Action wherever it was needed, but at least now I know to do it immediately upon import.

Rob
robgo2

Re: Problem Solved!

Postby Dave Heap » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:13 am

robgo2 wrote:All of the TIFFs that failed to generate thumbnails were very large files.

Check your 'Preferences > Media Rendering > Images > Skip images with size greater than:' setting. I'm not sure whether that affects thumbnail generation or not.
Dave Heap

Postby robgo2 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:25 am

Dave Heap wrote:
robgo2 wrote:All of the TIFFs that failed to generate thumbnails were very large files.

Check your 'Preferences > Media Rendering > Images > Skip images with size greater than:' setting. I'm not sure whether that affects thumbnail generation or not.

That's a good thought, but the upper limit that it allows is 100 MB, and many of my multi-layered images are larger than that.

Rob
robgo2

Postby Dave Heap » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:42 am

robgo2 wrote:That's a good thought, but the upper limit that it allows is 100 MB, and many of my multi-layered images are larger than that.

You can turn the limit off by unchecking it. I have raw 16bit TIFFs around 132MB.
Dave Heap

Postby robgo2 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:37 am

Dave Heap wrote:
robgo2 wrote:That's a good thought, but the upper limit that it allows is 100 MB, and many of my multi-layered images are larger than that.

You can turn the limit off by unchecking it. I have raw 16bit TIFFs around 132MB.

I have unchecked it. We will see what happens the next time I have a large file to import.

Rob
robgo2

Return to Expression Media