I'm the only one? getting lonely

Discussions about Expression Media

I'm the only one? getting lonely

Postby mister z » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:57 pm

How come I'm the only one asking questions here?
Nobody else has these problems?
Nobody else is using the software?

Shouldn't PhaseOne be on here a little more seriously?
IS ME2 just a hobby software for the firm?
mister z

Re: I'm the only one? getting lonely

Postby Jim MSP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:45 pm

mister z wrote:How come I'm the only one asking questions here?
?

I used to use EM when I used CO 5. Now that I have CO 6.1, I don't use EM -- as the two packages no longer connect.
I have a support case posted, but it has been months.
I like EM & CO, but I now use Lightroom for most of what I do, and probably will until things are fixed. I hope I don't have to wait a year !!
Jim MSP

Postby rainerfrey » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:47 pm

Huh? You showed up here only one or two weeks ago, you're flooding the forum with questions, and get an answer mostly on the same or next day. This should give you enough hint that this software is indeed used.
You have no reason to complain, if you don't read or believe the answers, it is your own problem.
And apart from the DVD import issue (which has been discussed intensively, here and in the old microsoft forum), you write about minor glitches that most users either don't care about or just live with.
EM2 is a quite mature software that does the job so well for most users that switching to another software is much more painful than dealing with most of the current issues.

mister z wrote:Shouldn't PhaseOne be on here a little more seriously?

This is a user to user forum, and with that in mind, the level of presence (mainly in person of Drew) is better than I've seen. If you want direct response from them, use the support case form.
rainerfrey

Postby mister z » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:59 am

I thought there was a big emphasis on getting this program to shine.
mister z

Postby Dave Heap » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:58 pm

mister z wrote:I thought there was a big emphasis on getting this program to shine.

Many of us have been using this program and its predecessors for many years and I for one have come to the conclusion that it does shine.

Some of the things you seem to be trying to do - renaming folders on a DVD, reordering folders on a drive by dragging, are not physically possible, and indicate that you may not yet have grasped the concept of this software. You seem to be still thinking the novice type way of using the file system as your indexing system

The big advantage of DAM software like this is that the physical file and folder names no longer have any significance, they are simply a way for the software to locate the originals when needed. All your data indexing and management is done by annotations such as keywords, people, locations, et cetera. You are freed from the novice-type restrictions of sorting into folders or using filenames as descriptors, and can group images at will in multiple ways. And if you really want to have a set like "Europe Holiday 2010", you can create a catalogue set (and you can nest catalogue sets). But don't fall into the novice trap of using catalogue sets as your primary indexing tools.
Dave Heap

Postby mister z » Thu May 19, 2011 3:06 am

rainerfrey wrote:

Huh? You showed up here only one or two weeks ago, you're flooding the forum with questions, and get an answer mostly on the same or next day. This should give you enough hint that this software is indeed used.
You have no reason to complain, if you don't read or believe the answers, it is your own problem.
And apart from the DVD import issue (which has been discussed intensively, here and in the old microsoft forum), you write about minor glitches that most users either don't care about or just live with.
EM2 is a quite mature software that does the job so well for most users that switching to another software is much more painful than dealing with most of the current issues.

mister z wrote:Shouldn't PhaseOne be on here a little more seriously?

This is a user to user forum, and with that in mind, the level of presence (mainly in person of Drew) is better than I've seen. If you want direct response from them, use the support case form.

I'm a paid user and I ask questions when stuff doesn't work or make sense. I'd think Phase One would be happy to know
how their software appears to their users so they can be sure to make it easier and easier and have happy users. There are answers I've never gotten. Trivial to experienced users is different from newbie life. And as it stands, the software simply still does not do such "trivial" things, such as import files, such as render thumbs, such as remove keywords, such as never stop spinning in the activity window, such as not responding to commands, such as showing enormous activity on each of the 16 processor threads, but no activity in ME2. And I've only been using 30 minutes since we last talked about it, hoping something would change.
mister z

Return to Expression Media