Should I update my firmware on DF+

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Should I update my firmware on DF+

Postby jojo204 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:19 am

Hey guys new to MF and loving every bit of it. Im about to get a v-grip and Im wondering if I should update my firmware on my DF+.

Current (this is how it was sent to me)
back: credo 40 FW 2.03.3
body: mamiya 645DF+ FW 1.2.3
lens: SK 80 LS

Everything seems to be working fine right now. It "JUST WORKS" and Im happy with that. Will i see any noticeable improvements that I can't live with out? Also it seems like I do have the 3 focus points still I shoot 3/4 portraits mainly. I like to use the right focus point on the eyes. Will i loose this feature if I update?

Thanks
jojo204

Re: Should I update my firmware on DF+

Postby Ulf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:52 am

Hi

Are you sure that you have a DF+?
Firmware 1.2.3 would indicate that you have a DF since the very first firmware for the DF+ was 2.00

Current firmware for DF is 1.58
While for the DF+ its 2.2.7
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby jojo204 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:10 am

Hi Ulf

Yup says 645+ right on the side of the body. You made me second guess myself but I just double checked and it is a PLUS. Would it help if I posted a serial#?

let me know

thanks for any help on this
jojo204

Postby jojo204 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:28 am

Uhhh! I'm so dumb, the firmware 1.2.3 was actually the lens firmware. The DF is at 2.2.3.

But when Im looking at the about system page on the back it list the camera as 645DF there is no + beside it. Should there be?

Also so from what I understand is left and right focus is non-existent in my camera then? I have been switching back and forth holding the button on top for 2 seconds. If not that why i get what i thought was back focus then. I try and shoot mostly above f10 so i havent noticed it to much. Sorry if I'm green but how the hell do you get eyes in focus then with such a big focus circle that covers the whole face if im doing tight head shots.

Any advice advice on this would be great.

thanks
jojo204

Postby steve_cor » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:00 am

The autofocus point is not the entire circle that covers the face.

The camera has a plus type autofocus sensor. However, it is not indicated in the viewfinder. You can try to determine where the center of the circle is, and place it over the point where you want to focus.

[Image

--Steve_Cor.
steve_cor

Postby jojo204 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:44 am

Ah ok so it's actually just the center of the circle. I wish I would have read this earlier today as I was doing a hairstyle shoot and one look had a big puffy hair ball in front of one eye hanging of the top of her head. And for the life of me it just kept focusing on that when I wanted the showing eye in focus. I ended up shooting it at f18 and full body to get the whole face in focus and the just cropping in after. So there is hope after all. I was ready to trade this in for TrueFocus lol.

Thanks for all the help I'm slowly learning the ins and out and refusing to pull out my 35mm since I got this. But situation will dictate I guess
jojo204

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+