Camera Misfire Issue

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Camera Misfire Issue

Postby Daniel_M » Fri May 02, 2014 7:08 pm

We have two 645DF bodies with IQ160 backs.
Both have been having this issue, the kit with more actuations is experiencing this problem much more frequently.

While shooting, every 3-5 frames the camera fires at a much longer shutter speed, and doesn't fire the strobes. The metadata for the image says the shutter speed doesn't change, but we're shooting at 1/100th and notice a huge change in duration.

Another thing I noticed when the misfire occurs, is that in Capture one, the Camera setting goes from Manual to Unknown, and then back to Manual again. I've tried to reposition the program dial thinking that maybe it was stuck in between settings, but that hasn't worked.

My second thought is that possibly this is from excessive wear on the leaf shutter? or possibly a lens communication error?

Normal Shot:

On the misfire:
Daniel_M
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Camera Misfire Issue

Postby Matt32 » Fri May 02, 2014 9:27 pm

I would think it's an issue with the shutter being sticky.
Like Drew said in the other post though, open up a case or contact your dealer directly and get it sorted out quicker!
Matt32

Postby Drew » Mon May 05, 2014 9:25 am

Daniel,
Please create a support case.
http://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain/ ... pport.aspx
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Daniel_M » Tue May 20, 2014 3:00 pm

I have opened a support case, but I wanted to keep this thread alive in case anyone else has this issue.

We put a powered repeater on the camera when testing the system and It seems to have eliminated the problem.

I did notice the issue again when I switched to a smaller 8in firewire cord going into the computer, So I'm hoping it's just the cable.

other than that, since using the proper setup the system seems to be fine!
Daniel_M
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby AustinGoldin » Thu May 29, 2014 6:00 pm

We have had a very similar situation. We ended up sending in the body for repair as the shutter sound had changed quickly over very few shots. Interesting that a FW repeater helped solve the problem. Which kind of repeater did you use? The little capacitor kind or the kind that uses external power (plugs into the wall)?
AustinGoldin
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Alex » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:07 pm

I use the V-Grip with a Profoto B4 or Acute B - And Every 3 frames the camera won't fire. I have to take the battery out of the V Grip and put it back in, and it fires. It is maddening during a shoot, but it has been that was since I bought the system and I have just been too busy to deal with it. I would love to solve this issue though.

For me, the shutter just won't press. I fire, fire, and then nothing, even when using a remote. The button will not engage.
Alex
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Camera misfire issue

Postby Alex » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:25 am

I posted this a while ago w no reply so I am posting in a separate thread. Still having this issue. I frustratingly work around it. Any insight?

Postby Alex » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:07 pm
I use the V-Grip with a Profoto B4 or Acute B - And Every 3 frames the camera won't fire. I have to take the battery out of the V Grip and put it back in, and it fires. It is maddening during a shoot, but it has been that was since I bought the system and I have just been too busy to deal with it. I would love to solve this issue though.

For me, the shutter just won't press. I fire, fire, and then nothing, even when using a remote. The button will not engage.
Alex
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Drew » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:00 am

Alex,
No need to create a new thread, simply respond to your current thread. I've merged the threads to keep everything together.

Looking into this, I cannot locate the support case you said you made. Do you have a support case number?
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby sinar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:20 pm

I have experienced the same issue of the exposure changing to wide open and or a slower shutter speed. Capture one shows the f stop as 2.8, where it should be 22. I also get, when I press the shutter, the flash goes off first, then the shutter goes later or perhaps not at all, just a black screen. This happens about 4 to 8 times a day. I have an IQ160 on a PhaseOne DF+ camera with the LS 80mm lens. Last occurrence was yesterday. Ten years using P series backs I never had these issues.
All firmware is up to date....
sinar

Postby BOO » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:50 pm

Have had the same staff very often...

Once we could not change it back to normal and were shooting always at 2,8 no matter what was put on the camera.
This was fixed after changing the firmware of the body back to the previous version...

We tried both manual mode and sync mode and it was the same. However it happens less while in sync mode.

I also have this issue very often, especially when firing from the computer. But it seems that there is no work around to this, it sometimes happens often, many times in the day, or only 3 or 4 times a day...
BOO
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby David Cohen de Lara » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:26 pm

Alex:

My camera does that too, where you press the shutter (or the AF button) and nothing happens. Sometimes the display says 'Err DB', sometimes it says 'Cap DB', sometimes it says 'Busy DB', sometimes the aperture on the display switches to '--', and sometimes it just says nothing at all but the camera simply refuses to shoot. What usually helps is taking the lens off and putting it back on, or power cycling the body or the back, or taking the batteries out and putting them back.

For me this has happened with several different bodies and lenses but always my own IQ160 back. My misfires are not as frequent as yours though, I'd say on average it happens every few dozen shots. It really sucks because I miss crucial shots. The misfires make me break the flow and the connection with my models so my work suffers but there's nothing I can do about it. I've been going back and forth with my dealer and with Phase One for over a year now trying to fix this but so far I'm still stuck with the same problem.
David Cohen de Lara

Postby RafalNowak » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:39 am

I've got exactly the same issue. Missfire from time to time while shooting with flash. Wireless transiver mounted on the body. Quite often having issue PO 645DF+ doesn't shoot at all while using PO 28mm lense. I can hear strange noise when AF used and bide doesn't do anything at all. Even auto focus doesn't work. looks like body freezes. I have to reconnect lense and power off/on whole thing. It's all brand new body and IQ250. So it's looks like a common issue.
RafalNowak

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+