Mamiya DF and Manual Lenses, purple overlay

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Mamiya DF and Manual Lenses, purple overlay

Postby EdwardWebb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:31 am

Hello everyone,

I have a Mamiya DF camera and a LeafAptus II 8 back. When I shoot with manual Mamiya lenses, the images show a very large purple overlay, bleeding out of all the highlight areas, much larger than any form of chromatic aberration or purple fringing. I have tested the same lenses with other cameras and there is no such problem at all. It does not happen with AF lenses. I am baffled as to what is causing it. Would anyone be able to share any experience on this problem?

Best wishes

Edward Webb
EdwardWebb

Re: Mamiya DF and Manual Lenses, purple overlay

Postby Drew » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:51 am

Is it this;
http://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article. ... nguageid=1

or this;
http://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article. ... nguageid=1

Either one lists the cause and solution in the article.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby EdwardWebb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply. No it is neither of those. Custom Function 97 is set to 0 on my camera. The problem happens with manual lenses without shutters. The only way I can shoot an image without the magenta is to set the camera to X, but then I am limited to only 2 shutter speeds.
EdwardWebb

Postby Drew » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:05 pm

I think you should create a support case and provide a few examples, something is clearly being overlooked.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby EdwardWebb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks, I think that the dealers who sold me the camera and back are creating a support case, so I won't duplicate it. This did not happen a year or two ago when I put manual lenses on my camera, so there is probably a bug in the firmware. The camera seems to think that there is a different kind of lens on, I guess, which is why the magenta stuff is happening due to sync problems. It doesn't happen with AF lenses. VERY frustrating! I'm going in tomorrow again to have the camera firmware downgraded to the previous version :(
EdwardWebb

Postby Drew » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:52 pm

NN634780608177087003UL wrote:...so there is probably a bug in the firmware.

No. Not probable at all. Perhaps with this specific body but as we test with and have many manual lenses here I can say that this is not the case.
I don't see any support case specific to this issue, if you have the serial number I can investigate further. Ultimately this seems rather strange and my thought it s that it is something quite simple being overlooked.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby EdwardWebb » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Thanks again for the quick reply. I went today to the dealers who sold me the camera and they downgraded the firmware from 1.57 to 1.25, and now it works with manual lenses. They tested another camera (which had 1.55 installed) and replicated the same problem. So now I am back to the firmware which allows me to use manual lenses, but unfortunately my camera has also returned to the same problems it had before the firmware update. These are a considerable shutter delay, about a third of a second, intermittent locking of the camera with the mirror up when shooting in mirror up mode (the worst problem), and a delay in mirror up mode between pressing the shutter and exposure (which is not present in 1.57 and is frustrating because I use mirror up mode for many cityscapes etc. where stability is essential but so is being able to control the actual moment of exposure due to vehicles and people moving around). If anyone knows how to solve these problems using the old firmware, then it would be great to find out.
EdwardWebb

Postby Drew » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:39 am

Again, can you provide me details so that I can look into this for you?
The description you've provided does not seem accurate. It seems the body firmware downgrade is simply avoiding the issue and not solving it.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby EdwardWebb » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks Drew. OK, I'll start a support case.
EdwardWebb

Postby NN635423000158233750UL » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:06 pm

I have Mamiya DF+ -Leaf back but is not good photo
Camera setting & support software
NN635423000158233750UL

Postby Drew » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:11 pm

NN635423000158233750UL wrote:I have Mamiya DF+ -Leaf back but is not good photo
Camera setting & support software

Not exactly constructive for this thread. Is there a specific concern we can help you with?
Drew
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+