New Firmare DF+

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

New Firmare DF+

Postby Hydris » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi,

Since updating the firmware of my df +, the selection of different AF mode is no longer available. What is the new handling ?

thank you
Hydris

Re: New Firmare DF+

Postby flashsplash » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:45 am

That is an interesting observation, I will need to check it out and come back if I have the same issue.
Are we talking about the 645df+ C224 release ? It seems that this release has some other small issues for which I have opened a topic.
Can you confirm that it was C224 ?

Kind regards,

Steve
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby flashsplash » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:52 am

Hi,

I just tried mine and I can confirm that I have exactly the same problem, unable to change the focus point selection.
Mine is stuck to the last one I used before the upgrade to C224. It is stuck at "spot focus".

Maybe a bug or a change to the selection method "press and hold for at least one second the A button" does no longer work.
It does work for the light metering method selection.

Kind regards
Steve
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby flashsplash » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:21 am

I have done some further testing and it seems that it is certainly a c224 problem, I have down rev'd the body to C223 and C222 and both just work fine on focus mode selection.

C224 does not, as the procedure as described in the manual on page 34 (focus method selection) does not work
The Light metering selection with button A and the dialwheels does work, The Focus mode selection with push and hold the A button for 1 second reverts you back to the Light metering mode.

This is certainly a bug where both A button functions are pointed to the same menu " Light metering". . Or did Phase One created another selection method and did not update the documentation ?

P.S I alos asked my service center to open a case with Phase One.

Kind regards,

Steve
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Hydris » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:57 pm

Thank you Steve,
This is what I feared, but I thought there'd be some other procedure. waiting for the next version, hoping it come quickly ...
Hydris

Postby flashsplash » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:41 pm

Hydris wrote:Thank you Steve,
This is what I feared, but I thought there'd be some other procedure. waiting for the next version, hoping it come quickly ...

I am not sure if we will see a new release soon as C224 just came out. It might be an option to revert back to C222 (not C223 as that was a Beta). As long as you are not suffering from camera lock-up in C222.

I am sure that P.O will be able to come-up with an answer.

Kind regards,

Steve
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Hydris » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:25 pm

I have the new one 224 ...
Hydris

Postby flashsplash » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:41 pm

Hi,

Here is the explanation:

Phase One 645DF+ Auto Focus design

In designing the new and improved auto focus for the 645DF+, we deliberately moved away from the 3 points auto focus.

The auto focus sensors in the 645DF was an inheritance from previous film design build on a very precise center crosshatch sensor and two less sensitive peripheral sensors placed just to the left and the right the center. While this design was giving the user the possibility to place the focus a little bit off center, it has been proven that many users found this possibility less usable than original intended.
Partly because the 3 points where not wide enough spead out on the surface, and partly because the peripheral sensors was not precise enough.

Removing the 3 points have resulted in a much faster and precise auto focus than could have been achieved with the 3 points active.

Note:
Unfortunately there is a discrepancy or inconsistency in the firmware implementation and the description in the manual of the 645DF+, where the option of 3 points are still listed as functional.
Fact is that the function is disabled, and changing the AF Area on the 645DF+ does not actually affect the focusing.
Multiple AF points support is disabled from firmware 2.24 and an updated manual Is available on our web, and with all new products.
flashsplash
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby FredBGG » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Now almost two months later the Phase One website still states that the DF+ has three focus points.

So what is it?

In the real world is it one point or is it 3 point?
FredBGG

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+