DF+ and 80mm SK focusing issues

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

DF+ and 80mm SK focusing issues

Postby Ross Floyd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:47 pm

I have the new DF+ and 80mm Schneider Kreusnach Lens and overall it seems very inaccurate and soft on focus compared to the AFDII and mamiya 80mm we also have in the studio. I have worked with my dealer to update the firmware, and am still having difficulties.

I am unable to find a pattern as far as if it is front focus or back focus issues. Overall the critical focus (DOF) seems shorter and softer at both ends. I shoot at minimum f/11 and can now barely get all of the legs of a table to be sharp (we shoot mostly furniture)

This is not just disappointing it is incredibly disruptive and time consuming. I work out of a high volume studio and set-backs like this have slowed work to a crawl.

Is anyone out there experiencing similar issues? have any good tests to help determine the problem?
Ross Floyd
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: DF+ and 80mm SK focusing issues

Postby Drew » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 am

Ross,
If you're using the same back on the two systems and comparing the Focus while using Manual Focus, there shouldn't be any issue making a direct test of both systems with a simple focus test to determine exactly where the issues lies.
http://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article. ... nguageid=1

Provide that to your dealer, ideally using more than one lens swapping between camera bodies so you can tell exactly where the issue lies (Lens, Body, back's fit on a specific body, etc) and we'll be able to get everything sorted out for you.

Technically speaking the 80mm SK should be obviously sharper than an older Mamiya AF.
Drew
Crew
Crew

Re: DF+ and 80mm SK focusing issues

Postby Ross Floyd » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:11 pm

Thank you drew,

Our dealer and I were able to figure out the problem, we switched out bodies - and everything was fine. We then re-uploaded the body firmware and everything appears to be ok.

He also recommended we use a custom function to make the rear button on the camera AFL which significantly helped our workflow and focus reliability as well.

And you are correct the SK is much sharper - rough start but we are happy campers now.

Best

R
Ross Floyd
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+