how does leaf shutter work?

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

how does leaf shutter work?

Postby patpro » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:34 am

Hello,

I don't own a Phase One body yet, and never used one. But I have a technical question I can't find an answer for.
Researching cheaper alternatives, I've found the pentax 645D, but this camera has some huge limitations when using leaf shutter lenses: basically, everything beyond the lens won't work if you activate the LS (exposition metering, mirror lockup, bracketing, and even the viewfinder is unusable…).
I can't find any documentation about phase one limitations with LS lenses, so I guess phase one camera works at 100% even when using the leaf shutter of the lens.
How does it work? Is there a technical documentation about the inside mechanic of shooting with LS on Phase One body?

thanks
patpro

Re: how does leaf shutter work?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:04 am

It works without limitations as far as I am concerned. To the contrary, it adds opportunities like high speed flash sync.

I suggest you'd visit a dealer for a demonstration or hiring one you test yourself. Nothing can convince you better.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: how does leaf shutter work?

Postby patpro » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Thank you Paul for your reply. In fact I'm not too concerned about Phase One body limitations, as I said I guess it's all right. And I know about the benefits of shooting with LS, I'm a flash photographer who enjoy high sync speed ;)
I'm more interested in the mechanic inside the camera when using LS that explains how phase one cameras are not limited like pentax's are, and I think I find the answer:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/medium-fo ... stion.html

That would be great if some Phase One official documentation could explain the shutter sequence when using LS.
patpro

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+