Choosing lens for beauty closeups shooting

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Choosing lens for beauty closeups shooting

Postby mihhailov » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:26 pm

Hi !
please welcome fresh switcher from 35mm to medium format:)

I am shooting mainly beauty closeups in studio. So far I have been using 70-200 canon 2.8 is lens, which is great quality lens with beautiful "lines" in final image, also provides great flexibility - from portraits to closeups. Mainly I am using 110-200 mm range.

I have been looking what phase one has to offer:
SK 150 LS lens, but is has minimum focusing distance 150mm and magnification ration 0.12 - which seems to be far and too small for a closeup portraits.
SK 150 AF 2.8 IF seems much better (not a leaf shutter though, not a big deal but still).
Macro 120 is a manual focus - except that seems to be quite good for beauty closeups.

Could anyone please recommend any good lens for phase one df camera (iq160 back) ? For me AF is a must, I am used to 2.8 (for outside work, in studio this does not matter much) but seems that in MF world DOF is bit different, so up to 4 is OK.
Any beauty photograpers here ?
mihhailov

Re: Choosing lens for beauty closeups shooting

Postby Ulf » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:31 am

Anyone please chip in.

Mean while I would like to let you know that there is a AF version of the 120mm Macro
Also see this which might be what you need:
http://www.phaseone.com/en/Lenses/Digit ... ction.aspx

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Lenses/Digit ... Specs.aspx
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby mihhailov » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 am

Ulf, thank You for your response. Dont know how I missed it - most probably got confused between different brands and notations. I can see this lens now, looks good.

If You have time, couple more questions:
- In 35 world fix lenses are considered more sharp than zooms - what about medium format lenses
- SK lenses and PhaseOne lenses - are those the same but just branded differently ? or Mamiya and PhaseOne are the same ?
- Are there any announced plans for some lens upcoming in next few months ?

I would actually suggest PhaseOne to publish more field tests, examples and feedback - not that much useful info on the net (yes, it is a niche product, but still). This would really help to choose and buy more lenses :)

Any other beauty photographer or whoever had experience with 150 macro lens - your input would be really valuable - what are working apertures for sharp shooting from hands (using elinchrome d4 and profoto d1 ones, so flash duration time is not the best).
Sometimes too sharp is too bad as well - I preferred bit more blurred result from 70-200 to 50mm 1.4 sharp lens. What is your experience with MF lenses.
mihhailov

Postby mihhailov » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:25 pm

btw, if you guys need someone to review lens and write some feedback or post in a blog - I am up for it :)
(can provide more info on me if needed - shortly I am stock photographer trying to move to commercial photography)
mihhailov

Postby FredBGG » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:30 am

mihhailov

If your range of focal lengths used on your 70-200mm is 110 to 200 you will need to work with this range of focal length to get the same perspective and room for light:

150mm to 260mm. Actually it would be even higher if you consider that you nearly never publish the 24x36 aspect ratio.

So the 150mm f2.8 Phase/Mamiya lens would be at bit shorter than your usually used range.

The 120 macro will be way to short for the range you have been working in.

The Mamiya 200mm f4 ULD would be right in the middle of the range you usually used.

Another option is to use other lens brands through adapters.

Hasselblad V lenses can be found used at good prices and you can get these focal lengths:

Carl Zeiss Hasselblad 150mm f2.8
Carl Zeiss Hasselblad 180mm f4
Carl Zeiss Hasselblad 250mm f4

Others include
Carl Zeiss Jena Pentacon 180mm 2.8
Mamiya 200mm 2.8 APO (a non AF lens)

I am using several Hasselblad V lenses with adapters. It is manual focusing, but the DF does a great job with focus confirmation. it's fast and accurate. However even with autofocus lenses you have to focus manually much of the time with the Phase DF because the focus points are only in the center of the frame. Doesn't come close to the auto focusing of the top of the line 35mm DSLR cameras. You also have to shoot stopped down or like I did make an adapter with automated stop down by means of a dual shutter release cable. I have also made an adapter to use my Fuji gx680 lenses all with tilt and shift that is so usefull for very close up beauty. I will use the Leaf back on the Fuji if I need really accurate focusing for my macro beauty. I use the focusing screen and a loupe like this:

This loupe is an 8x and moves around.

Critical focusing with a MF 645 prism is not what I would call "professional grade" unless your critical area in the photo is right in the middle of the frame. pentax 645 is better, but still somewhat limited.

Best of all Fuji gx680 lenses were made in many focal lengths.

In your range you could get...

150mm
180mm
210mm
250mm
300mm
as well as the 100 to 200mm zoom

My Fujiya or Mamiji is an amazing machine. Close focusing, perspective correction and tilt or swing focusing control.

For example my close focus with the 180mm is 75cm with a captured image area of about 4x6cm.
With the 300mm I get a close focus of 1.5m and a captured area of about 8x10cm.
That is with a digital back. With film the captured area is about twice as large.

Here is an example of what the lenses are capable of:

and here is a crop from the same transparency

The Fujiya or Mamiji.

I either use the Fuji lenses on the DF and back or put the back on the mamiya leaf back of a Fuji gx680 or
shoot film on 6x8. Huge fexibility and for a modest investment.

The functionality of the Mamiya 645DF makes it a great camera to use 3rd party lenses on.

Dealers will tell you you need "Digital Lenses".... you just need good lenses :wink:
FredBGG

Postby mihhailov » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:06 pm

thank You for such an expanded reply ! most probably I will try renting different lens to find the best one for me. LS lens are nice but indeed are not "must have"
mihhailov

Postby Ron5 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:14 pm

FredBGG wrote:My Fujiya or Mamiji is an amazing machine. Close focusing, perspective correction and tilt or swing focusing control.

For example my close focus with the 180mm is 75cm with a captured image area of about 4x6cm.
With the 300mm I get a close focus of 1.5m and a captured area of about 8x10cm.
That is with a digital back. With film the captured area is about twice as large.

The Fujiya or Mamiji.

I either use the Fuji lenses on the DF and back or put the back on the mamiya leaf back of a Fuji gx680 or
shoot film on 6x8. Huge fexibility and for a modest investment.

The functionality of the Mamiya 645DF makes it a great camera to use 3rd party lenses on.

Dealers will tell you you need "Digital Lenses".... you just need good lenses :wink:

Do you have any images of your "Fujiya" or any info on how you are using the Fuji lenses with the DF?
I have a GX680III on it's way to me with several lenses. I was intrigued by your images and setup I had seen on another photography board and found a great deal on the Fuji so thought it would be fun to experiment with. I mostly shoot food in the studio and it looked like an amazing piece of equipment for that purpose but it would also be interesting to be able to use the lenses on another camera body if possible.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron5

Postby HASSAN4 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:47 pm

Using manual lenses on the DF+ body make sense, and you get the best quality. However, your exposure is going to be challenging as you cannot use Av on the camera body. Stopping down the lens will not give you an accurate exposure.
Anyone has any other idea rather than manual exposure metering?
HASSAN4

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+