V Grip Air - Some thoughts…

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

V Grip Air - Some thoughts…

Postby Tilman » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:18 pm

Yesterday I received my V Grip Air. Yes, technically it´s working, but, please excuse me, this piece is really not cheap and so I was looking forward to receive a well built, nice to touch piece of equipment.
But what I got, did not match with my expectations.
So my first impression after mounting it on the camera was: The material of the grip feels like cheap plastic. There is no special soft grip where you will place your fingers. When I take my Nikons, my hand is feeling "at home". When I take the V Grip my hand is wandering… The material feels like the cockpit of a cheap, little car.
Taking a closer look to he V Grip I saw a gap about one millimeter between the camera body (where you put the battery cage in) and the V Grip. Hey! For this amount of money I would like to have a tool which fits perfectly and not only nearly.
Ok, So I´ve mounted the V grip on the Phase One DF and mounted it on my Ballhead - I´m not using Arca Swiss, I have a Linhof Mounting Plate, and it doesn´t look very confidential when you mount a Quicksnap - Plate on the Tripod Mount and bring the Camera in Portraitmode. Don´t know how long this little screw will fit in the camera body perfectly…
Trying to charge the battery with the original Hähnel Recharger was not possible - the battery did not fit?!!
Last point, ok, I knew that before buying, it is only working as a Profoto Air Flash trigger, but I´m working with Pocket Wizards, have a l to of them and I´m very satisfied with PWs and don´t see any reason to change to another system. So it would be great if their would be an option for choosing V-Grip for PW or Air.
No, I´m really not satisfied after spending more than 1K Euros.
Tilman

Re: V Grip Air - Some thoughts…

Postby Jeff12 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:53 am

I agree the build quality is not what I expected but the features and performance made the grip well worth the price to me.

I am very happy with the built in Profoto sync, the extra battery capacity, L bracket, hand strap, and port for firmware updates. I wish P1 would supply a plate for horizontal mounting but am happy they went with a true Arca plate profile as the bracket works seamlessly with the Arca double dovetail, camera rails, and fliplock.
Jeff12

Postby Ian Eisenberg » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:53 pm

@Tillman12

I am curious as to your reasoning for purchasing the V Grip.

One of the main reasons I got mine was the built in Air remote capabilities. The firmware update capability was second while the ergonomics was last on the list.

I do agree that in terms of design the grip leaves something to be desired. It appears that Phase was more interested in matching the aesthetics of the camera body than the feel of it in your hand. Reaching controls on the grip is not a natural and in this case I think they could learn a lot from Nikon and Canon.
Ian Eisenberg

Postby Tilman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Hi Ian,
my only reason for purchasing the V Grip was a little button. I was tired of pressing the AEL Button on the camera when I´m shooting in Portraitmode and have to fix the focus before pressing the shutter button. Missing a well placed Autofocusspot for getting the focus on the eyes/face I always have to move the camera, get focus, fix focus and shoot. Annoying. And aching. I think you know they shard ring of plastic around the AEl Button on the camera. After one day of production my thumb really hurts. After two days it is burning. After three days... and so on ;-) So I decided to buy the V grip, this little button is designed a little bit better, even it is still too small. Expensive…
And working with the V Grip improves the handling of the camera, this is fact.
Tilman

Postby Frank Doorhof » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:22 am

Actually I like the handling.
However I have a huge problem with continuous shooting, even with a full accupack I'm able to shoot continues for maybe 100 frames (in total, not continious of course) after that when I go into continous the body will say my accupack is low so it won't do continuous Anymore, I can shoot for almost the full day with this low accupack and the display will show full, however as soon as I go into continuous it will drop to low and stop again, for me that's very frustrating because I use this a lot with fashion work.

It seems the power drops below a certain point with the accupacks. With AA I never experienced this problem.

Any else have this ?
Frank Doorhof

Postby NNN634239244038662771 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:40 pm

Frank Doorhof wrote:Actually I like the handling.
However I have a huge problem with continuous shooting, even with a full accupack I'm able to shoot continues for maybe 100 frames (in total, not continious of course) after that when I go into continous the body will say my accupack is low so it won't do continuous Anymore, I can shoot for almost the full day with this low accupack and the display will show full, however as soon as I go into continuous it will drop to low and stop again, for me that's very frustrating because I use this a lot with fashion work.

It seems the power drops below a certain point with the accupacks. With AA I never experienced this problem.

Any else have this ?

Frank . . . did you ever figure out what the problem was?
NNN634239244038662771

Postby NNN634410730376504107 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:19 pm

I just wish the V-Grip could be programmed to use the AE button to fire the strobes for when I'm metering. I'm sure this can be done, right?
NNN634410730376504107

Postby Frank Doorhof » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Yes, got it back last week from repair and it seems to work a lot better now.
Frank Doorhof

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+