V Grip - which tripod quick release plates are compatible

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

V Grip - which tripod quick release plates are compatible

Postby NNN634217396084451480 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Dear All

Have had my P65+ with V Grip for about two weeks.

I would like to be able to use the L bracket that came with the V Grip on my tripod but am not sure which manufacturer makes the quick release mount for the V Grip L bracket.

Can any one please help.

Thanks

Mal
NNN634217396084451480

Re: V Grip - which tripod quick release plates are compatible

Postby Jeff12 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:24 pm

Hello,

I have been through just this situation and the plate on the Vgrip is a match for Arca Swiss plates yes the actual configuration made by Arca Swiss. Great for me since I also shoot with an Arca view camera.

Any manufacturers screw clamp will work or flip lock as long as it is adjustable. I like the screw clamps because they can be used with any number of plate manufacturers. If you go with an actual Acra Swiss clamp make sure it is one of the newer double dovetail versions as it will fit the standard size on the Vgrip, Arca monorails, as well as the new sidefix plates.

The square plate linked below is now on the bottom of my Vgrip so I do have horizontal and vertical plates on my camera. I attached the hand strap to the horizontal mounts with just enough slack so the grip can be detached and the AA batteries changed. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391058-REG/Arca_Swiss_802208_Square_Camera_Plate_1_4.html
Jeff12

Postby NNN634217396084451480 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:15 pm

Thank you for your feed back.

I was looking at Arca Swiss and then I think I was told "Really Right Stuff" - so was a bit confused.

While I assume the Arca Swiss head will be more expensive, that will be OK especially if it will fit the Cambo Wide DS camera mount.

Is it fair to assume that the double dove tail Arca Swiss head will accomodate the Cambo mounting which is a bit smaller than the Phase One mount? Cambo 30mm compared to Phase One 38mm.

Advice welcome.

Thanks Mal
NNN634217396084451480

Postby Jeff12 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:19 pm

The Arca mount is designed for Arca Swiss standard dovetail plates and the Arca camera rail dovetail. Arca introduced sidefix last year and it has the same dimensions as the camera rails.

Really right stuff is nice but the plates ares slightly larger so a flip lock would have to be adjusted if you went with a combination of the Vgrip plate and RRS plates. A screw clamp solves this problem as it has enough range to accommodate plates from various manufacturers. Since the Vgrip is the same dimension as Arca standard and I really like the Arca Cube it is a no brainer for me.

The Arca rail is around 25mm so the smaller dovetail would not work with a Cambo mount.
Jeff12

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:43 pm

Chinese Benro, Photoclam and some Kirk heads are absolutely compatible with L-bracket jn V-Greap.
Michael

Postby FredBGG » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:45 am

Giottos makes very adjustable plates and heads.

They sell the rails for the plates in different lengths.

This can be very helpful for adjusting balance with different lenses.

I don't have a v-grip, but the Giottos plate receivers have a good range of adjust-ability.

http://www.giottos.com/MH-3.htm

I got mine here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giottos-MH3300-658-Large-HD-Ball-Head-Arca-Swiss-style-Quick-Release-system-/370577695109?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564826e185#ht_1004wt_1163

They have free shipping and a good 7 day return policy.
FredBGG

Postby Jeff12 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:12 pm

All of the types mentioned are variations of the Arca dovetail design and if you use a screw clamp all will work with any manufacturers plates.

The only time it becomes an issue is when you are using a flip lock clamp and plates from multiple manufacturers. RRS, photoclam, etc are all slightly different dimensions so the clamp must be adjusted to each variation. The l plate on the Vgrip has an Arca style plate with the exact Arca dimensions.
Jeff12

Postby Eric Joakim » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:39 pm

The L-Bracket supplied with the V-Grip is designed to work with the Arca-Swiss quick release mount. Phase One also offer an adapter to use the L-Bracket with the Really Right Stuff quick release mount (part number 71062). The RRS mount is slightly larger and the adapter ensures a firm connection when using the L-Bracket with RRS heads. Your Phase One dealer will be able to help you with this.
Regards,
Eric
Eric Joakim
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+