My Experience with the Phase One XF 100

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

My Experience with the Phase One XF 100

Postby NNN637071103492042809 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:40 pm

I was in a studio setting, so I didn't get to experience the magical "medium format bokeh." I was shooting at around F/20 so depth of field wasn't too big of a problem.

The Phase has 1 focus point in the middle. I was prepared for bad AF from all the stories I heard. It wasn't bad actually. The Phase emits a focus-assist light every time it tries to acquire focus. Maybe that helped? Because I had such a deep depth of field, focus recomposing was no problem. I also heard that the AF was improved from the old Phase cameras.

I couldn't rattle off shots like I could with my Fuji X-T2. In fact, since the RAW files were around 100 megs each, I could probably shoot about 1 shot a second. Even then, after like 10 shots, I had to stop for the buffer to clear.

That was the main thing I had to get used to. It forced me to slow down. I couldn't catch the model in her moment and keep her moving. She had to pause for each pose. Also I was using 8gig CF cards, and that thing filled up much quicker than I was expecting.

The files are pretty amazing. Using Capture One, it somehow comes out near-perfect straight out of camera. You don't need to touch anything. I was baffled by this. With the Fuji, I usually have to do a lot of things to the RAW files to make it look good. But with the Phase, for some reason, it looks great SOOC. I thought a preset had been added.
NNN637071103492042809

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+