Leaf 65 - Hasselblad 500 CM mirror lock up problem

Question regarding:
Phase One H25, H20, H101, H10, H5, LightPhase, PowerPhase FX / FX +, PowerPhase, PhotoPhase and StudioKit.
Leaf Aptus-II, Aptus S, Aptus, Valeo, C-Most, Cantare, Volare and DCB.

Leaf 65 - Hasselblad 500 CM mirror lock up problem

Postby NNN635750793372659774 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi

Greetings from France, where, amateur photographer, I am the lucky new owner ao a second hand Aptus 65 digital Back.

I use it with my Hasseblad outfit, 500 CM and most of the time, on tripod with mirror lock-up befor actionning the shutter.

I have set the camera type in back to Hasselblad 500 series.

If i shoot without mirror lock-up, the back is fonctionning perfectly.

If I do the mirror lock-up procedure, the trigger the shutter, most of the time I have an error in the back and no picture is taken.

The back is connected to the camera by the synchro flash cord.

If I set the camear type in the digital back to large format, there is no problem with the mirror lock-up procedure of the blad.

Does anyone here have encountered thes problem and knows the explanation ?

Thanks in advance

Francois
NNN635750793372659774

Re: Leaf 65 - Hasselblad 500 CM mirror lock up problem

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Has probably to do with the latency setting on the back. With the regular setting the back is expecting an exposure in a few seconds. However, with the mirror-up procedure you are to late.

With the large format setting, the latency is extended (could be zero latency). The back is always on and you can expose any time you like.

I am less familiar with Leaf backs compared to Phase One backs, so I could be in error.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Leaf 65 - Hasselblad 500 CM mirror lock up problem

Postby NN635131464251909892UL » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:29 am

I had this problem a lot, and ultimately switched to using a Hasselblad 555ELD to solve it.I don't think a latency setting has anything to do with it, but I could be wrong.

I did notice that the angle and pressure at which I pushed the mirror lockup lever could influence this problem; I often had better luck with pushing it up while also applying a little amount of outward pressure at the same time.

I also found another "workaround" which was to activate the mirror lockup immediately after the first, failed, trigger- that is, shoot knowing the first exposure would result in an error, but do it anyways and then immediately activate lockup again. Each successive shutter release, I would do the same thing. This got the mirror back up before the camera could "figure it out"... this solution was the better of the twi in my experience.

My guess is that the activation of the mirror triggers either enough static or random voltage that the back thinks it is being fired. My main reason for finally getting an 555ELD, which I love.

Good luck!
NN635131464251909892UL

Return to Phase One and Leaf Legacy one-shot and scan camera back