Manual Lenses

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Leaf Aptus-II, Aptus S, Aptus and Mamiya DM series camera backs

Manual Lenses

Postby NN635130822105143760UL » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:11 am

I have a Leaf Aptus II back as well as a Phase One IQ140 and ran into an interesting dilemma. With the Phase back I am able to use the manual film lenses from Mamiya. These lenses are Manual Focus and Manual Exposure and cost between $100 and $400 a piece. For the price of one Phase lens you can buy five or six of these lenses and they are better built and sharper than any lenses I have used. One of the lenses is a 50mm Shift lens which cost about $400. These film lenses are also a fraction of the weight of the Phase lenses.

I tried the manual lenses with the Leaf back and the color was way off with a magenta hue which would ruin any of the photos.

So using the Phase back I saved a lot of money and am very happy with the Manual lenses. It took some time to get used to the Manual Focus and I needed to change the Focus Screen to a Maxwell Matt screen to make focusing precise.

The exposure takes some practice but when you get good at it the photos turn out better than using the light meter in the camera or off.
NN635130822105143760UL

Re: Manual Lenses

Postby yaya » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:45 pm

This doesn't sound right and chances are that the WB being used it not right for the scene. Please create a support case describing your setup (tethered or not, software version etc.) and send us a couple of RAW files if you can. Alternatively you can contact your local Mamiya Leaf dealer and they will do that for you.

BR

Yair
--
Yair Shahar | Product Manager - Cultural Heritage |Phase One
e: ysh@phaseone.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 |
yaya
Crew
Crew

Return to Leaf Aptus-II, Aptus S, Aptus and Mamiya DM series camera backs