Alternatives to firewire 800?

Question regarding:
Phase One H25, H20, H101, H10, H5, LightPhase, PowerPhase FX / FX +, PowerPhase, PhotoPhase and StudioKit.
Leaf Aptus-II, Aptus S, Aptus, Valeo, C-Most, Cantare, Volare and DCB.

Alternatives to firewire 800?

Postby chustace » Tue May 05, 2015 4:29 pm

All:

I am looking for a new laptop to tether my Leaf Aptus II back to. I want a PC. I can't find a Laptop with thunderbolt ports. Is there a way to tether to a pc with only usb ports? My aptus II back uses firewire 800. If I had a desktop, no problem. Seems that firewire 800 is disappearing quickly and there is no other way to tether my back other than firewire 800. I have looked for adapters etc, but don't see a way to do this correctly. Mac only sells ONE laptop with firewire 800 and I don't want that one.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Does Leaf upgrade the backs to USB 3.0? That would be worth it for me if they did, but I have a feeling the answer is no.

thx.

Curtis
chustace

Re: Alternatives to firewire 800?

Postby yaya » Tue May 05, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi Curtis,

For a Windows laptop you could look for one that takes ExpressCard FW adapters, and then use a powered repeater: http://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article.aspx?articleid=2309&languageid=1

Another option would be a Mac with Thunderbolt running Windows under Bootcamp

And 3rd option would be upgrading to a Credo back, which runs on USB3.0....

Technically there is no way to connect a FireWire device via USB as the two protocols are very different.

Hope this helps

BR

Yair
yaya
Crew
Crew

Return to Phase One and Leaf Legacy one-shot and scan camera back