CAPTURE ONE - TETHERED, SHOOTING UNCOMPRESSED!!!

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Leaf Aptus-II, Aptus S, Aptus and Mamiya DM series camera backs

CAPTURE ONE - TETHERED, SHOOTING UNCOMPRESSED!!!

Postby Rob_Jarvis_Photography » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 am

CAPTURE ONE doesn't have an option to shoot uncompressed when tethered, why not?
But LEAF CAPTURE does have that option.

ADOBE CAMERA RAW will not read the files from CAPTURE ONE because they are compressed, the files need to be uncompressed or converted making an unwanted process in my workload.
___
The answer from Adobe was:
"Your best bet is to shoot uncompressed. (i can't in capture one NO OPTION IN SOFTWARE OR LEAF BACK!!!!!)
My guess is the compression is proprietary (Eric could answer definitively) so we don't have the resources to know how to read the compressed file.
See this article on proprietary file formats: Why doesn’t my version of Photoshop or Lightroom support my camera?: http://adobe.ly/ACRandDNG
___
So, will CAPTURE ONE ever have an option to shoot uncompressed so ADOBE CAMERA RAW can read the files before having to un-compress or convert them? because adobe say they will not support compressed leaf files. grrrrrrr

HELP!
Last edited by Rob_Jarvis_Photography on Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
___
MAMIYA 645DF + LEAF APTUS-II 8

SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH 120MM MF TILT SHIFT
MAMIYA SEKOR MF 120MM F4 D
MAMIYA SEKOR AF 110MM F2.8 LS D
MAMIYA SEKOR AF 80MM F2.8 LS D
MAMIYA SEKOR AF 55MM F2.8 LS D

AUTO EXTENSION TUBES
MAGNIFIERS FD401,FD402
V GRIP AIR
Rob_Jarvis_Photography

Re: CAPTURE ONE - TETHERED, SHOOTING UNCOMPRESSED!!!

Postby Ulf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:50 pm

We only supports a "real" RAW file in Capture One

If you have a Adobe workflow you have two options.

1. Use Leaf Capture to shoot tethered in "uncompressed" mode
2.Use Capture One to shoot tethered and use Leaf converter to modify the files http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/downloads.asp

Hopefully Adobe will support true RAW format of Leaf files soon.
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Rob_Jarvis_Photography » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Ulf wrote:We only supports a "real" RAW file in Capture One

If you have a Adobe workflow you have two options.

1. Use Leaf Capture to shoot tethered in "uncompressed" mode
2.Use Capture One to shoot tethered and use Leaf converter to modify the files http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/downloads.asp

Hopefully Adobe will support true RAW format of Leaf files soon.

__

Thank you Ulf.

Is there a reason why CAPTURE ONE doesn't allow me to shoot uncompressed?
I'm just adding another process to my workload by having to convert the files after shooting using leaf converter

LEAF CAPTURE has options to shot either compressed or uncompressed.

__

reply from ADOBE:

Jeffrey Tranberry, an employee of Photoshop Family, commented on a reply in Camera Raw 6.6: Can no longer import Leaf .mos raw files, a problem about Photoshop Family.

Your best bet is to shoot uncompressed.

My guess is the compression is proprietary (Eric could answer definitively) so we don't have the resources to know how to read the compressed file.

See this article on proprietary file formats: Why doesn’t my version of Photoshop or Lightroom support my camera?: http://adobe.ly/ACRandDNG
____

ROB JARVIS PHOTOGRAPHY
___
MAMIYA 645DF + LEAF APTUS-II 8

SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH 120MM MF TILT SHIFT
MAMIYA SEKOR MF 120MM F4 D
MAMIYA SEKOR AF 110MM F2.8 LS D
MAMIYA SEKOR AF 80MM F2.8 LS D
MAMIYA SEKOR AF 55MM F2.8 LS D

AUTO EXTENSION TUBES
MAGNIFIERS FD401,FD402
V GRIP AIR
Rob_Jarvis_Photography

Postby Ulf » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi

Adobe has the resource and knowledge to implement this, I can only presume it is only a matter of priorities.
From our side we will not use the unpacked format since this is not a true RAW and hence why unpacked (uncompressed) files shows as "MOS" in Capture One meta data and not as "RAW". Since it is not a true RAW we can also not do lens corrections and other advances corrections in Capture One.

Luckily future generations will only have one format.
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby space is the place » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:54 am

Converting compressed files in LC 11 WILL corrupt the C1 Pro session.

The file rotation will be off and 1/3 of the image will be blacked out.
The only way to get the un-compressed file back to normal is by trashing the 'CaptureOne' folder. When you're trashing the CaptureOne folder, you are also trashing hours of work, all applied color curves and all other settings that have been applied to the files will be lost.

MOS files have been real raw files for years before C1 Pro came around. Suddenly, now they are not real raw files?
space is the place

Postby Ulf » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Converting compressed files in LC 11 WILL corrupt the C1 Pro session.

Not really correct, problem you have is probably that you already have had them open in capture one before converting.
Slight strange workflow when you loose abilities in capture one when doing this.
But gain abilities in Adobe workflow.

So essentially you would only convert the files if you are NOT planning to use Capture One
Also if you are only planning to shoot tethered with Capture One and then use Adobe. Why not simply use Leaf Capture and shoot uncompressed and take it strait to Adobe?
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby space is the place » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:13 pm

That's correct.

LC is a well written application but with barely any adjustment options.

Considering that most ad jobs are being delivered in raw, this is a serious problem because most if not all agencies are using Photoshop as a can opener.

I guess the frustration is that owners of C1 Pro would like to use the application they have purchased and paid $400 for, but that they realize only after they have paid for the application, that the raw files shot with C1 Pro aren’t readable in Photoshop.

On jobs, the turnaround time does not allow for converting of files, for then to loose all your color settings that you still need for your own workflow. I think its very criticizable that this is not clearly communicated before point of purchase, and that goes for both the Leaf backs as well as C1 Pro.
space is the place

Postby Ulf » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:39 am

Well option is easy.
If you need a RAW file which includes modifications to deliver to agencies.
Then you can use Capture One and encapsulate mos as a EIP.
Ad agencies can use Capture One DB free of charge, no license required.
(So can you by the way of course under the condition that you use a Aptus-II)

If LC does then job, then you have the solution there.

In most cases a processed TIF according to ad agencies specifications is sufficient and then it it does not matter which program you use.

In terms of point of purchase I totally agree that this should be communicated and I am convinced that our dealer channel is doing a great job when it comes to this.
Of course with older units, the information did not exist at the time so of course it could have been communicated.
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby vinzenz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Leaf Capture, Capture One, and Lightroom / Photoshop all have their strengths and weaknesses. I like the alround capabilities of Lightroom but importing files for a quick look is tiresome. Capture One is great for adjustments but I could never print accurately with printer /paper profiles. The prints were always too dark although I am an experienced printer out of Lightroom / Photoshop.
My main complaint is the inability to use all three programmes side by side for different tasks without having to compress/decompress the data several times. I experienced the corruption of files in C1 as described by „space is the place“ above only once and now use LC–Lightroom as my safe workflow.
vinzenz

Postby space is the place » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Well, I happen to disagree with your light perspectives.

I don’t know one advertising agency here in NYC, where C1 Pro is an integrated part of the workflow, but I'm pretty sure that the percentage of agencies that are using Photoshop is 100%

It doesn’t matter if its free or that they can download it. The whole problem is the lack of a profesional workflow. Not for the photographer who goes out and shoot 1 picture a day and pack it as an EIP, but for photographers who needs to get 1000-1500 images delivered at the end of the day. Why would anyone deliver 1000-1500 TIFs, when the cost associated for the processing out that number of files is roughly $500-1000 in processing fee + an extra day.

(Also, just a questions, do you think there are more DB out there sold by Phase One or by Leaf. Because C1 Pro is not free for the thousands of Leaf back users, or the agencies, that are using a back sold by Leaf).

LC is just not up to todays standards. Its solid, but you can barely do any color adjustments. The world has moved on in the last 3-4 years and LC was left behind.

Does Phase One clearly communicate on their website that Leaf files cannot be opened with Photoshop when using Phase One’s C1 Pro?

That ought to be the first thing mentioned in any advertising material from Phase One.

space is the place

Postby yaya » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:09 am

space is the place wrote:.(Also, just a questions, do you think there are more DB out there sold by Phase One or by Leaf. Because C1 Pro is not free for the thousands of Leaf back users, or the agencies, that are using a back sold by Leaf).

Capture One DB is available for free for Aptus-II and AFi-II users
LC is just not up to todays standards. Its solid, but you can barely do any color adjustments. The world has moved on in the last 3-4 years and LC was left behind.

As previously suggested, if your/ your client's workflow is based on Adobe then it does not matter what adjustments you do or do not do in LC as you'll use it merely is a CAPTURE tool...if you choose to use Capture One for Capture and need to deliver Photoshop-friendly files you can use the Leaf Raw Converter which is a "set-and-forget" tool...
--
Yair Shahar | Product Manager - Cultural Heritage |Phase One
e: ysh@phaseone.com | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 |
yaya
Crew
Crew

Return to Leaf Aptus-II, Aptus S, Aptus and Mamiya DM series camera backs