Tethering, Mac Thunderbolt to FW adapter

Discussion about Leaf Capture and Leaf Remote application

Tethering, Mac Thunderbolt to FW adapter

Postby Thomster » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:47 am

I'm wondering if Leaf Capture will work for tethered shooting , when using a Mac with a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter .

More specifically, I consider getting a MacBook Air , and use my trusty old Aptus 75 via the TB-FW adapter and a powered Firewire hub .
I'm aware there are possible issues with sufficient power supply and such, but would like to know if Leaf Capture recognizes my Aptus 75 for tethering at all with a TB-FW adapter in place .

Camera is a Sinar P2 .

Thank you for any advice .
Thomster

Re: Tethering, Mac Thunderbolt to FW adapter

Postby Ulf » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Thomster » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks for your reply, Ulf .

I know that article, and have searched very thoroughly for anything related to the topic, here and on all the other forums .
I've learned a lot from posting by you, Yair, Doug and others, thanks for that .

Yet I'm still wondering, can Leaf Capture detect a Leaf digital back like my old Aptus 75 for tethered shooting, while using a TB to FW adapter on a Mac ?

My understanding is that any Mac with that adapter still sees the Firewire device as Thunderbolt, but how about the Leaf Capture software ? Does it recognize my Aptus 75, or similar backs ?

On a side note, I'm just back from a shoot with my Aptus and a rental MacPro workstation, the new one, attached to a multi purpose hub with FW, and there was no way to connect it via Leaf Capture , nor Capture One .

Several cables and such tried, a very professional studio and tech, but no joy .
Fortunately they had an old MacPro available, which worked perfectly fine .

So, does anyone know if Leaf Capture can be used with a TB to FW adapter on a Mac ?
Thomster

Postby Drew » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Thomster wrote:My understanding is that any Mac with that adapter still sees the Firewire device as Thunderbolt, but how about the Leaf Capture software ? Does it recognize my Aptus 75, or similar backs ?

Not so.
Once a Firewire devices is attached through the adaptor, it is recognized natively as a Firewire Connection/device.

My guess regarding the issues you had is more likely related to the lack of proper protocol communication through the Hub you were using. Using the Hub supplied from Leaf or Phase One, there are no conflicts. See below, which answers your question with a definitive YES, tethering through the FW-TB adaptor works just fine provided the hub is also working correctly.

System Profile Firewire Connection:

Thunderbolt Adaptor Connection:

Tethered to Capture One 8:

Tethered to Leaf Capture 11.5.3:
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby Thomster » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks a lot , Drew !
Thomster

Postby scottgraham » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:04 pm

My Aptus 75 works fine WITH a Belkin Express dock ("last years" version) and 10.9.5 on an early 2014 iMac.

It will NOT work with the iMac when it is connected directly to the Thunderbolt port

and will NOT work with my new MacBook Pro, when directly connected. Haven't tried the dock yet, but this stinks for field use.

Scott
scottgraham

Postby scottgraham » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Forgot to say, similar answer as above on the MacBookPro with Phase 1 software.
scottgraham

Postby Ulf » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:49 am

Hi Scott

This is also what I say in the post above.
You need extra power when using a thunderbolt adapter.
This article will provide some alternatives for this:
http://www.phaseone.com/Search/Article. ... nguageid=1
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Drew » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:47 am

That is an expected behavior observation.
The iMac and Macbook Pro do not have proper power at the Firewire Port so connection is no longer possible.
Thunderbolt provides next to no power so again, no power = no connection.

The only solution is an externally powered Firewire Hub or, for field use, a battery solution for such a hub.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby NN634765814302517612UL » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:55 pm

Good Morning ,
I purchased a Lindy Repeater FW800 3 P to use Leaf Aptus 10 with Mac Book Pro Retina. Powered by the current, the signal falls continuously and does not allow images to be downloaded to the computer. FW doors seem very poor and do not allow proper work. I've changed ports and cables all the time, but it's not stable. Has anyone done similar or different experiments? Thanks R
NN634765814302517612UL

Return to Leaf Capture 11.x