Photographing Oil paintings

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

Photographing Oil paintings

Postby Tom12 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:28 pm

I am photographing Oil paintings for a client who is un happy with the shadow details and the general sharpness of the images. Being New to the P20 I am using I thought i would see if anyone on the Forum is copying artwork and how it is going for them. i include a macbeth color checker and in most cases i use direct copy lighting with Broncolor headspowered by a grafit A4. Moreover the lights are polarized and the camera is also polarized for the saturated \"cross polarized\" effect that manyy paintings need to be shot with. Is there something in the processing of the images that may help. Should I use a different \"lighting\" default than procuct P20 Flash in the setup prior to shooting? Would this be a place to do a custom white balance? How do I optimize image fidelity, granted I am photographing a 3 foot squate painting onto a little ccd sensor and expexting to make a poster? Does any one else do this?
Tom Upton
Photography director
Solzer Studios
San Francisco CA
Tom12

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs