Phase One 645 AF/AFDIII Battery Issue

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 AF and Mamiya 645AFDIII Camera

Phase One 645 AF/AFDIII Battery Issue

Postby NN634873357826994737UL » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi All,

I was using my Phase One 645 AF/AfdIII body on a shoot with Sanyo Eneloop AA rechargeable batteries in the battery chamber and smelled burning plastic towards the end of photographing. I pulled the battery chamber from the camera and saw that two of the spring contacts were totally flat and part of the plastic in the housing was melted. The batteries were OK, but the entire assembly felt hot.

I looked into the camera battery chamber and noticed one of the springs that screws in at the top with three screws was also flattened/slightly melted.

Shooting conditions were mid 80s Fahrenheit temperature, low humidity, out in the desert. Nothing too extreme.

I have tried another battery chamber, and the Ejji Li-Ion batteries, but now the camera will not power on. I want to see if this might be an issue of simply replacing the battery contacts in the chamber, or the camera should be sent in for service?

Also, has anybody else had this problem with faulty battery chambers? It seems like a flimsy piece of plastic.

I have since bought a 645 DF to use as my main body since I needed something a few days later, and would like to get this 645 AF fixed to use as backup.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
NN634873357826994737UL

Return to Phase One 645AF and Mamiya 645AFDIII