input camera ICC profiles: how to enhance?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

input camera ICC profiles: how to enhance?

Postby Eric1121 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Hello,
when Capture One 4 came out, one of his main advantage to the concurent products where the color correction according to the camera used.
Now, color profiles are also available for Lightroom, and, for my Canon 30D, these are much closer to those available in Canon products (jpg from Camera and DPP). But I don't want to throw C1 and use LR!
IMHO, the color rendering in C1 is to "yellow", especially on skin tones: once printed, pictures proceeded within C1 get the impression the people spend months under the sun! Another example is orange tones (e.g wallpaper) which are yellow in C1.
Do other users experiment similar results with their cameras?
I'd like to have a faithful rendering, and do not want to spend time correcting color for each picture.
I think a better ICC could help. It is possible to create such profile? How? Or could PhaseOne enhance them?
PS: I am using calibrated monitor and software.
Eric1121

Re: input camera ICC profiles: how to enhance?

Postby John4 » Sat May 16, 2009 1:05 am

One of the features of Pro is the ability to modify and save profiles (page 68 of the 4.8 manual).....it is not a feature that any profile other than the generic for your camera remains sticky, wether this is a feature (as 3.x behavior) to be added remains a question.
John4

Postby thowi » Sun May 17, 2009 12:44 am

John4 wrote:One of the features of Pro is the ability to modify and save profiles (page 68 of the 4.8 manual).....it is not a feature that any profile other than the generic for your camera remains sticky, wether this is a feature (as 3.x behavior) to be added remains a question.
haven't tryed it yet... but if you rename the old default profile and name the new profile exactly as the old profile... the new one should be adressed as default (so that it sticks). (Maybe you'll need tools like "Chromix Color Think" or similar to rename the old profile as a renaming of the file name doesn't change the internal name of the profile.)
But I strongly hope that we will see the option to set a user defined default input profile in an upcoming upgrade as many users are asking for this feature. Then you wouldn't have to rename the old profile... you would just set the new one as default.
thowi

Postby John4 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:13 am

yep, that's a great workaround Thomas, thanks...
I'm sure the sticky option is in the pipeline...but of course it will move up the pipeline if more users request it.
John4

Postby Boris1211 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:46 am

Regarding orange/yellow cast i do totally agree... I am using last generation Nikon cameras, working a lot on skin (fashion, portraits), so it is basically good that skin is not purple /magenta, but for architecture or landscape it is just not working.
It would be nice to have (like it is still for Nikon D200 or Phase One backs) various profiles (for portraits, landscapes etc..) already made.

Eric1121 wrote:Hello,
when Capture One 4 came out, one of his main advantage to the concurent products where the color correction according to the camera used.
Now, color profiles are also available for Lightroom, and, for my Canon 30D, these are much closer to those available in Canon products (jpg from Camera and DPP). But I don't want to throw C1 and use LR!
IMHO, the color rendering in C1 is to "yellow", especially on skin tones: once printed, pictures proceeded within C1 get the impression the people spend months under the sun! Another example is orange tones (e.g wallpaper) which are yellow in C1.
Do other users experiment similar results with their cameras?
I'd like to have a faithful rendering, and do not want to spend time correcting color for each picture.
I think a better ICC could help. It is possible to create such profile? How? Or could PhaseOne enhance them?
PS: I am using calibrated monitor and software.
Boris1211

Postby SergNikitoni » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:09 am

I still have the same YELLOW skin toning in CaptureOne 7 for my Canon 5D mark II (and other canon EOS'es). I hardly can remove this annoying greenish skin effect by WB, on any other RAW-converters by default skin look more pinky-healthy.
By using skin-editor tool I created ICC profile to make skin more pinky, but it someting self-made. May be some one use camera profiles from another software?
I converted Adobe CameraRaw profile DCP to ICC (using free sourceforge utility), C1 can apply it and colors seems more LR-like but Exposure +1 stop and shadows too noisy.
Portrait photographers, how do you deal whit this? Any suggetions?..
SergNikitoni

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:49 pm

I suggest you post in the CO7 forum. The legacy forums are rarely visited compared to the forums of recent versions, you also use.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software