embedded thumbnail in output tif

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

embedded thumbnail in output tif

Postby SharonD » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:37 am

Hi I am hoping someone can help. I have a P30, P45+ and a P65+ all of which shoot tethered to IIQ L. everything was working fine until I upgraded the software to 6.4.5 64bit, now all my ouput .tifs have an embedded thumbnail (we are talking thousands of files here). I have tried various settings to remove this oronious thumbnail but to no avail - can anyone tell me how to stop C1 from generating this thumbnail when creating the tif file as this is eating up disc space and obviously my customers are receiving two files instead of one. Other than running a batch resave in photoshop to get rid of it (which due to the size of the files is extremely time consuming and costly) I cannot see anywhere in either the software or the scan back how to turn this off.

Two of the machines are running 6.4.5 64bit windows 7 (p65+ & P45+), the other is windows xp 6.4.5 32bit (P30) so I know its nothing to do with operating system or windows itself

Please Help !!!!!!!!!

Sharon
SharonD

Re: embedded thumbnail in output tif

Postby Drew » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:13 am

SharonD wrote:...can anyone tell me how to stop C1 from generating this thumbnail when creating the tif file as this is eating up disc space and obviously my customers are receiving two files instead of one...

If you are getting two separate files then you are likely processing two separate process recipes.
Provide some more details to clarify but from that sentence alone it sounds like your using two recipes per file.
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby SharonD » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:14 am

Hi Drew,

Many thanks for getting back, in answer to your question - No I am not producing two recipes, I am generating one tif file only which has this imbedded file, I have now since spoken to a gentleman who also uses capture one (he is a reseller also), and he tells me that the imbedded file - which he called a preview file - has always been there and it allows the image to appear quicker on your screen, but until you take it into a piece of software that can actually see the imbedded image you wouldn't even know its was there. hence how my issue arrived. We are occasionally requested to OCR text based images and when doing so for this particular batch my package told me that each image had a page range of 1-2 (tiff and imbedded image), when I asked it to ocr it separated out the tiff from the thumbnail and produced two images one full scale ( as I wanted ) and one tiny thumbnail which I had to delete. obviously this is time consuming, and as I stated my other option was to open and save as a completely new file in photoshop which is time/money. I should also state that in total I have 6 pc's all running this software with 6 different users and everyone of us has the same issue - and we all have our own customised workspaces, and besides if I was generating two recipes they would be sitting side by side and we would see it, it wouldn't imbed one to the other.

I do hope this makes sense, tbh I didn't even know capture one did this until today and ive been using the software since it first came out - I do believe looking at other forums like the Cap 7 there is an option to turn this thumbnail off, but I have since been told that, that option doesn't even appear on cap 7 for windows. Many of our customers probably will never know that the tif has this imbedded file, but I have one customer in particular who has already question why I am sending them a multi-page tif - identical images just one is a very small thumbnail, which they are having to delete, so my assumption is that they are using a piece of software which actually allows you to see the embedded image and delete it if you so wish.

I just don't understand why this small pointless embedded file has to even be there. Is there a particular reason or is it just there.

Regards
Sharon
SharonD

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 am

Hi Sharon,

This is a reoccurring issue on the Windows forum only. In other words, I have seen it here before, a few times.

It seems that some software show the embedded preview in a Capture One-created TIFF as a separate file. Re-saving the TIFF in Photoshop does remove the issue, as you stated. I regard it as an incompatibility issues between Capture One and the software you use to view the image.

You could do a search in the CO6 or CO7/Win forum. You might come across other threads and potential solutions. The best workaround I can come up with is making Photoshop / Bridge re-save the image per folder as an automated action with little user intervention.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Drew » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:24 pm

SharonD wrote:I just don't understand why this small pointless embedded file has to even be there. Is there a particular reason or is it just there.

Yes, it is standard on Windows to include an embedded thumbnail.
Capture One (as well as countless other softwares) has always and likely will always include this thumbnail. In this case it seems the issue is only a factor when using OCR conversion. As the thumbnail is part of the file, it is correct that it shows when using OCR conversion.

In this case I am not sure if there is a Windows based solution as again, the embedded thumbnail has always been around for all PC's so that you can simply see a preview of the image. Perhaps something like ExifTool can remove it for you?
Kind Regards,
Drew
Phase One
Drew
Crew
Crew

Postby SFA » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:36 pm

SharonD wrote:Hi Drew,

Many thanks for getting back, in answer to your question - No I am not producing two recipes, I am generating one tif file only which has this imbedded file, I have now since spoken to a gentleman who also uses capture one (he is a reseller also), and he tells me that the imbedded file - which he called a preview file - has always been there and it allows the image to appear quicker on your screen, but until you take it into a piece of software that can actually see the imbedded image you wouldn't even know its was there. hence how my issue arrived. We are occasionally requested to OCR text based images and when doing so for this particular batch my package told me that each image had a page range of 1-2 (tiff and imbedded image), when I asked it to ocr it separated out the tiff from the thumbnail and produced two images one full scale ( as I wanted ) and one tiny thumbnail which I had to delete. obviously this is time consuming, and as I stated my other option was to open and save as a completely new file in photoshop which is time/money. I should also state that in total I have 6 pc's all running this software with 6 different users and everyone of us has the same issue - and we all have our own customised workspaces, and besides if I was generating two recipes they would be sitting side by side and we would see it, it wouldn't imbed one to the other.

I do hope this makes sense, tbh I didn't even know capture one did this until today and ive been using the software since it first came out - I do believe looking at other forums like the Cap 7 there is an option to turn this thumbnail off, but I have since been told that, that option doesn't even appear on cap 7 for windows. Many of our customers probably will never know that the tif has this imbedded file, but I have one customer in particular who has already question why I am sending them a multi-page tif - identical images just one is a very small thumbnail, which they are having to delete, so my assumption is that they are using a piece of software which actually allows you to see the embedded image and delete it if you so wish.

I just don't understand why this small pointless embedded file has to even be there. Is there a particular reason or is it just there.

Regards
Sharon

Sharon,

Can you tell the OCR application to scan just one page (in this case)? Or, if not, to create a separate file form each page and then just sort the output on file size (or name if you can manipulate the output name in some way using the page number, or whatever seems the most promising identifier) and mass delete the 'pages' you don't want?

Which OCR tool are you using?

Grant Perkins
SFA

Postby tonytong » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:05 pm

Drew wrote:Yes, it is standard on Windows to include an embedded thumbnail.
Capture One (as well as countless other softwares) has always and likely will always include this thumbnail. In this case it seems the issue is only a factor when using online OCR conversion. As the thumbnail is part of the file, it is correct that it shows when using OCR conversion.

In this case I am not sure if there is a Windows based solution as again, the embedded thumbnail has always been around for all PC's so that you can simply see a preview of the image.

thanks for sharing, saves me a lot of time.
tonytong

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software