Canon G11 RAW Files with Weird Color Overlay(?)

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Canon G11 RAW Files with Weird Color Overlay(?)

Postby Destry Jaimes » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:19 am

Hi everyone -

This is an issue that I've had for some time now, and there's a similar thread over on the C1 for Windows Forum with no resolution

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12803

Basically, when I open any CR2 file from my G11 in C1P, there's a heavy blue/green tint covering almost the entire image, so I end up processing/viewing them using ACR/Bridge, since the files render properly there.

I've tested everything I can think of locally - different SD cards, built in SD reader in my Macbook Pro, external card readers, importing using ImageIngesterPro, importing using C1P, etc - but I get the same results.

I would guess that if that Windows user (link above) is experiencing the same issues, then this has got to be a known bug in the software, but I can't find much more information on the Interwebs (and no, I'm not upgrading to C1P 7.x until it matures a bit more).

Has anyone else come across this issue with G-series (or similar) RAWs?

It sure would be nice to stick to my normal workflow when working with these files.

Here's a link to a screen grab http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfjphoto/8395666567/

Thanks
Destry Jaimes
Editorial & Commercial Photographer
Austin, TX
http://www.dfjphoto.com
Destry Jaimes

Re: Canon G11 RAW Files with Weird Color Overlay(?)

Postby SFA » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm running 6.3.2 on a Win 7 32 bit system.

I have not seen any results like yours from my G11 in 18 months of ownership shooting various subjects but more landscape based images than anything else I would guess.

As it happens I am playing with some similar landscape at near sunset shots from a couple of months back at the moment. No intense greens (unless I induce them!) on either processed files or the out of the camera jpgs.

Also, mostly, the histograms I see are reasonably consistent whereas your screen shot seems to suggest a strange distribution of the red and blue channels leaving green rather dominant in the midtones and midexposure (or so I would imagine).

The strip along the bottom looks pretty much like where the image label info strip would be - do you have that turned on or off? (Just our of interest in case it has some effect on something ...) Obviously the strip should not cover the image anyway but if there is something odd going on with drawing the image on the screen then all sorts of things may be happening.

Odd, to say the least.

Out of interest if you change the ICC profile and/or the curve type does it make any difference? Try something that you might expect to be similar - say S90 for example. On may machine making that change produces no obvious effect at all as regular viewer size - which is pretty much what I would expect.

Maybe smeone has the answers but they are not yet posted back to the forum? (Or if they are we have not found them?)

Sorry I have nothing more useful for you.

Grant Perkins
Last edited by SFA on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFA

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi Destry,

I suggest the following two actions. You can either one or both, to your liking.

- open a support case and provide a raw file
- make a raw file downloadable and post the link here to allow user interaction
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Destry Jaimes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:34 am

Thanks for the replies, SFA and Paul.

I shoot Nikon, Leaf, and Phase systems regularly for assignment work, and those files always render correctly - I only have this issue with any G11 raw file. If I switch the G11 to shoot in JPEG, I have no problems (but who wants to shoot JPEG?).

As I mentioned in the original post, this has been an issue for as long as I can remember with my G11 files - all of them - probably as long as I've owned the camera.

I've checked for firmware updates for the G11, I've tried numerous ICC profiles, as well as everything I could possibly think of, including trashing & regenerating XMPs for these files.

Here is a screen shot of the same file as rendered in Adobe Bridge. You'll notice that the file renders properly.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dfjphoto/8 ... otostream/

Also, here is a link to the zipped raw file for you to check out on your own.

http://www.dfjphoto.com/DFJ_130119_0005_CR2.zip

I'll also look into filing a support case on this issue, because it would be nice to stick with my normal workflow for these files.

Thanks!
Destry Jaimes
Editorial & Commercial Photographer
Austin, TX
http://www.dfjphoto.com
Destry Jaimes

Postby Destry Jaimes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:57 am

I've opened a ticket with support, #118394

Thanks
Destry Jaimes

Postby SFA » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Hi,

I've downloaded you zip file, extracted it and opened it in my 6.3.2 installation in Windows 32bit and it looks very similar to your Flickr Bridge example - maybe a tad warmer in the brown but then we would not expect an exact match between a live C1 session on a crappy notebook screen and your jpg Bridge version on Flickr via IE9. At least I don't think I would!

If definitely does NOT look like your earlier Flickr posting of the C1 version.

So, no problem here with your file in V6 on Windows. Sadly that does not help you with a solution but it may help to fill in with a piece of the jigsaw.

Grant Perkins
SFA

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software