Spot and Dust Tool

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Spot and Dust Tool

Postby Bruce Rohr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:07 pm

Hello All,

I've been trying to use the dust and spot tool in Capture 6.4.4 on a Pro Mac 10.7.5 Tower. I use it at the end of the shoot to spot out anything on the background or sensor etc, it's a great feature. I select all the spots etc on one file and copy and paste the edits to the rest of the images in the session. All the spots are gone in Capture One. However when I process the images out to Tiff files and open them up in another program the spots reappear? I am obviously doing something wrong, as the spots are gone inside of Capture One but the removal of the spots are not being translated during the process to Tiffs. Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce Rohr

Re: Spot and Dust Tool

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:54 pm

This is really weird. The spots should be processed and not resurface in your output. I can not image of any wrong user action.

Try this:
clear your batch process history.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Bruce Rohr » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:08 am

Paul,

Yeah I agree, doesn't make any sense. I'll try the clearing the batch history. Is there some setting in the batch processing menu that would disable that particular tool? The color balance etc and every thing else comes out fine. I'm shooting Leaf Aptus II and processing .mos files, although I can't see why that would matter.

I'll let you know what clearing the batch history does.

Thanks for the quick response.
Bruce Rohr

Postby Bruce Rohr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Here is my follow up on the spots not going through the process. I could not find where the batch history clear menu was, however; what did seem to solve the problem was: 1. Disconnect camera and restart the session at the end of a shoot. 2. Start a new session and shoot a white card out of focus at the smallest F stop (32) and fix any dust or spots on the sensor. Copy those adjustments and go to the shooting session; select all the photos and choose apply adjustments. 3. Process them out to tiffs or whatever you wish, spots were gone. I think the original problem may have been that the Capture One connection and software features with the Mac Pro 10.7.5 after a long shoot (most of my shoots last all day) can get unstable. Restarting everything before the editing seemed to help in my case.

I very much like Capture One but sometimes I get these issues with instability so I can have several days of long shooting and everything is fine and then with no apparent change I'll come in next day, no changes to anything that I can see, but I'll have connection issues with the tethered connection becoming unstable, or some other odd bug. Usually restarting or connect-reconnect will solve the problem. It may be the communication between Lion 10.7.5 and Capture One??
Bruce Rohr

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Maybe adding RAM could help. When RAM is all used up, instability issues are more likely to occur.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Bruce Rohr » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Paul,

How much Ram to you recommend for a 28 megapixel back on a Power Mac?
Bruce Rohr

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Depends on the number of images you have in a folder at a time, but 12 to 16 GB RAM would be my first take. What is your current setup?
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Bruce Rohr » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:42 pm

I might have 100 to 200 images in a folder at the end of a all day session. I have a Mac Pro Tower 2011 with 8 gigs of ram. So based on what you say I should increase that amount? I'm a product table guy so I don't shoot fast like a fashion photographer.
Bruce Rohr

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Open Activity Monitor and monitor your RAM usage during a shoot. You'll get your answer. Today, with all 64-bit addressing space in OS X and CO6 and 7, 8 GB RAM is not that much anymore as it was a few years back.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Bruce Rohr » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:33 pm

Thanks Paul, I'll try that.
Bruce Rohr

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software