Capture U & POCP

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Capture U & POCP

Postby KylePetrozza » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:12 am

I've been teching for a few months now and have always had the Capture U / Certified Professional courses on my radar to further hone my skills and be a better asset on set. However, the more time I spend with Capture One the less appealing those courses seem. Nowhere have I been able to find testimony or reviews on whether what you are taught / given to learn is of any great significance outside that which can't be learned from trial and error by simply using the program.

If you have any experience with the courses I'd enjoy hearing your input.

In terms of professional development, I'm pitting Capture U and POCP against Apple training to learn the ins and outs of the machines running that software.

Thoughts?

Note: This is the most relevant forum I could find to place this.
KylePetrozza

Re: Capture U & POCP

Postby Ulf » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:39 pm

Hi

Here is some information
http://www.phaseone.com/en/Workshops/POCP/FAQ.aspx

You should not pit POCP and Apple training against each other as it is as far away as you almost can get.

POCP is aimed for Digital Techs and Assistants. It is a training on how to use, best practice and troubleshooting of Phase One software and Hardware.

Apples training are aimed for IT people which are administrating and deploying Mac's
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby KylePetrozza » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks for your response, Ulf.

I wasn't pitting the one against the other. I raised the option of Apple Training to highlight that fact that I was deciding between the two programs and was hoping to hear from people who have taken the Capture U course and/or from other certified professionals to gauge their opinions as I've done with people who have gone through Apple Training.

-K
KylePetrozza

Postby Ulf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 am

Hopefully some POCP's will chip in.. they tend to roam in their own private forum :D
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby micksf » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:17 pm

I've taken the course and found it to be really focused on Phase as a whole, and not C1. There is a lot of info regarding the company, and the differences in the models of hardware/backs that they sell. It also included obscure issues that may come up with their hardware, which was good info but a good deal of time was spent on these items. There is time spent on C1, so I don't want to misinform you. But I wish a much, much bigger percentage of the class had been dedicated to it.

I have found the training video tutorials fairly uninformative. Again, they seem to be directed more towards marketing the product rather than hardcore "how to" information. They tell you about features that are in the product, but they don't explain how to use them.

Would I still recommend taking the class? Probably, because it's still the only thing out there. Is it absolutely necessary? No. Do I wish the class was more directed at helping techs understand the workings of C1? Yes. Did the class boost my C1 confidence on set? Yes, but not nearly as much as I was hoping.

And you are right, the most info I have learned was by experiences on set, talking with other techs, reading the forums, and most importantly, spending time with the program on my own.

p.s. I should add that I have taken a lot of Apple training courses, and this class in not in any way similar. In the Apple classes, you go step by step until your eyes bleed, but you walk out of there with a great understanding of the material. (I only bring this up because you mention it in the OP).
Last edited by micksf on Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Certified POCP
san francisco, ca
micksf
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby micksf » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:00 pm

EDIT to last post: I just checked out the C1 7 videos, and they are much more helpful in discussing methods of using the product.
--
Certified POCP
san francisco, ca
micksf
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby KylePetrozza » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks! This is exactly the type of response I was looking for.

-K
KylePetrozza

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software