Canon G15 RAW Support

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Canon G15 RAW Support

Postby Persio2 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:29 pm

Gentlemen,
I am an old time user of Capture One - the first version I installed was Capture One LE Version 1.3.1 (I have the original install file). At that time I had a Canon EOS D30 and soon after I added a Canon G2.

Since then I have gone through several upgrades of my Canon DSLRs and my Canon G series companion, always relying and supporting the evolution of Capture One.
Today I have a Canon EOS 7D, a Canon G12 and just added a Canon G15, and use Capture One Express Version 6.4.3.

Since I only shoot RAW and Capture One Express is my RAW processor of choice I am very concerned with the evolution of Capture One Express to support my new Canon G15.
I will not consider the upgrade to Capture One Pro primarily because of cost considerations.
Has anyone heard of when Capture One will support the processing of Canon G15 RAW files in the Express version?
I would appreciate your comments.
Regards,
Persio.
Persio2

Re: Canon G15 RAW Support

Postby Keith Reeder » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:39 pm

Because Phase One will not discuss things like upcoming support or products, you're unlikely to get an official response, but all the indications so far suggest that Express is dead as a product, from an upgrade point of view.

We have no reason to believe that there will be an Express 7, so - assuming that there will be no further updates to Express 6 (and I've never known a new release of any software of any kind to run in parallel with updates to a previous version) - you're probably out of luck as far as your G15 is concerned.

Now, every word of this speculation might be utterly wrong, but speculation about Express is all we've got.

A rather depressing and unsatisfying thread on the subject here: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=13072
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby Persio2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:18 am

Keith,

Thank you for your comments.
I guess everything there is to say has been said in the topic you pointed me to.
It is indeed very frustrating for the user base.
I wonder... what is the size of this user base? Apparently non important for Phase One.
I can only imagine they are making so much money with their hardware products that they can let go this user base.
I wish Phase One would clearly declare its intentions so that each one of us can make an informed decision.
There is a saying..."what goes around, comes around".

Persio.
Persio2

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:05 am

Request G15 support in a support case. This will up the counter.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Yat » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 am

I don't think they will release an Express version 7. Maybe now is a good time to look at alternatives out there. I am in the same boat as you, waiting for support for Canon 650D.
Yat

Postby Persio2 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:35 am

Gentlemen,

This is the message I have just received from Tech Support:

"Persio,
It is now known as of yet if we will be adding additional camera support to Capture One 6 as we are now concentrating on Capture One 7.
I will forward your request to the developers but cannot offer any guarantees that support for this Camera in Capture One 6 will be possible.

Kind Regards,
Phase One Support"

As I have done since version 1.3.1, I would certainly upgrade to Capture One Express Version 7 if that option were offered by Phase One; however I will not consider upgrading to Capture One Pro Version 7 under current pricing structure.

Regards,
Persio.
Persio2

Postby Keith Reeder » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:58 pm

Well there you go - as near to an admission that there'll be no Express 7 as Phase One's disingenuous doublespeak will allow (I work with lawyers and politicians on a daily basis, so I know doublespeak when I see it).

Which begs the legitimate question: what did this doublespeak from David Grover (Phase One "crew"), actually mean?
Or perhaps you could consider we might have other options as well to serve the express community in the future?

Not much, apparently...

I realise of course, that the wording of Support's response to Persio does leave open the possibility of a 7 Express; but I'm pretty disgusted by the lack of clarity and honesty Phase One is demonstrating here, instead hiding behind deliberately obscure and nuanced non-answers that simply leave the whole matter of 7 Express up in the air, unresolved and unsatisfactory.

How hard is it to tell the user community definitively either that 7 Express will never happen; or that it will be along eventually; or that something "other" (as clearly implied by David, followed by resounding silence on the subject) is being considered?
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby Persio2 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:33 am

Gentlemen,

I was holding further comments on this subject but I felt compelled to express my deepest disappointment with this odd situation.
The Holiday Season is fast approaching, my Canon G15 will certainly be an important instrument to record our best moments and I will not be able to make use of my preferred RAW processing workflow.
I understand the fact that sometimes one needs to "repair the airplane during flight" but one must not drop the passengers.

Regards to all.
Persio.
Persio2

Postby Michael11 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi,
I was requesting support for the Sony RX100, the A77 and A99 in V6 and while I'm pretty confident that this could be done if P1 wish to provide, my feeling is that they fear creating a precedent. A lot more users of newer camera could request support too - and stay for some more time with their V6. So certainly from P1's view there has to be made a cut at some point. But OTOH since upgrading to V7 means for some (many?) the need for an upgrade of their hardware a too rigid position may cause people leaving instead of staying with P1. I'd have preferred a more smooth transition strategy. The question of "forced" introduction of "improvements" (as least from the point of view of the maker) is a problem spread over the whole software market. Cheers, M. Fritzen
Michael11

Postby Persio2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Michael,

Your point is very well tanken.
In addition to that, as it has been extensively discussed in another thread, P1 is also forcing customers to upgrade from the Express version to the Pro version in order to upgrade to CO7, at a very steep cost.
And by the way, as documented in the release of CO7, Canon G15 is not supported either.
I believe P1 is indicating to the marketplace that CO will gradually provide support exclusively to the high-end P1 camera products and Canon, Nikon, Sony and other brands' users will have to go elsewhere for raw processing software.
Cheers,
Persio.
Persio2

Postby SFA » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Michael11 wrote:Hi,
The question of "forced" introduction of "improvements" (as least from the point of view of the maker) is a problem spread over the whole software market. Cheers, M. Fritzen

I agree with that. But the problem seems to be one of the developers of the core tools used by application developers seeing a need to make a large jump in technology having progressed the older technology as far as they could, especially once hardware constraints had been overcome with technical resolutions.

I would imaging such large steps will arrive every 20 years - maybe sooner. Unless, of course, some disruptive technology comes along to change everything and, potentially, destroys our existing ideas about steady progression.

Grant Perkins
SFA

Postby Michael11 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:55 pm

I know we're moving pretty off topic but I'm asking myself what advantage the makers see in messing around that much especially with UI (often so functional, productive and well established). If it were performance where they concentrate on and making use of new technology I'd applaud. Or improve some little residual quirks. But NO! It has to be a "revolution" - in mainly visual aspects and not some smooth evolution. This proves to a certain degree and at least to me that not the product as a working tool is in focus of the development but the "coolness factor" and perhaps "me too". When I see my nephews handling their smartphones and other "cool stuff" I'm always remembering, I think it was somewhere in Douglas Adam's "Hitchhiker through the Galaxy" where there were so much and sensitive movement sensors that the user had difficulties to maintain the radio tuned to one station as the slightest move would have caused a change.
Michael11

Postby Persio2 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:29 pm

Gentlemen,

In reference to my original post on November 14, I decided to test Adobe Lightroom 4.3 and was pleasantly surprised the it can process my Canon G15 raw images effortlessly.
I will further evaluate this option since I see no sign from Phase One as it relates to CO Express supporting my new camera.
Regards to all,
Persio.
Persio2

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:43 am

Persio2 wrote:?..
And by the way, as documented in the release of CO7, Canon G15 is not supported either.

Currently, G15 support is available with CO7.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Persio2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:07 am

Paul

Thank you for your prompt comment, however, if I understand it correctly, there is no CO-Express V7 available, and upgrading to Pro is not an option.
Regards,
Persio.
Persio2

Next

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software