Should i convert to DNG?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Should i convert to DNG?

Postby ArcticPhantasma » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:39 am

Hey guys,

Im really new to capture one so i need a bit a help from you guys, i have been using Lightroom since i've started and i am always converting my Canon 5D Mark II files to DNG before i start editing. I am not completely sure but is it optimal for me to be working with CR2 files inside of Capture One instead of a DNG file? And is it possible to convert CR2 files to DNG in capture one and is it supported? Hopefully you guys can help enlighten me on this so that i can set up a workflow for myself!

Thanks for the help! :)
ArcticPhantasma

Re: Should i convert to DNG?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:37 pm

DNG workflow is fine as long as you are working with Adobe products like Lightroom. In CO6 you'd best stay with the original raw file, CR2 in your case. See also similar post here:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=12935
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Bill9 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:43 am

DNG is a really bad idea, especially if you shoot Phase files. All the automatic features and lens correction factors get lost.
Don't go there - or if you do, copy your original RAW files first and keep them that way.
Bill
Bill Caulfeild-Browne
Bill9

Postby wilfredoc1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:25 pm

stick with your original RAW extentsions...many Adobe apologists will say otherwise though. :lol:
Wilfredo
Commercial & Portrait
Photographer
New Media Designer
Phase One Certified Professional
http://www.wilfredovalle.com
wilfredoc1
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN634742889189182066UL » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:44 pm

shooting with a d800 and does anyone have any information to back up their claims other than that CO6 doesn't like them?
it already doesn't support any of my lenses so I don't particularly care about losing that, and while I'm not set on changing them, all anyone just told me was. no don't do it because we said so.

long story short, does anyone have any concrete reasons to not switch to dng? other than that CO6 doesn't particularly play well with certain versions of them?

*edit* oops didn't mean to hijack a thread, thought this one was mine from a week ish ago, but either way, my comments still stand
NN634742889189182066UL

Postby nggalai » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:42 pm

NN634742889189182066UL wrote:shooting with a d800 and does anyone have any information to back up their claims other than that CO6 doesn't like them?
it already doesn't support any of my lenses so I don't particularly care about losing that, and while I'm not set on changing them, all anyone just told me was. no don't do it because we said so.

long story short, does anyone have any concrete reasons to not switch to dng? other than that CO6 doesn't particularly play well with certain versions of them?

*edit* oops didn't mean to hijack a thread, thought this one was mine from a week ish ago, but either way, my comments still stand

I had converted all my Olympus ORF files on import when I was using Lightroom 2-3. When switching to CO-6, these converted DNG showed up fine, but without the Olympus specific ICC profiles, just “DNG neutral”. Not a biggie, I had them developped in Lightroom, so, eh.

Now with CO-7, these DNG files CO-6 displayed don’t show up at all when using the Catalog feature or browsing to the folders in Session mode. They work inside MediaPro, so this isn’t an issue for me, but this also means I can’t switch to CaptureOne Catalog for good as some 4000 images simply aren’t there. With MediaPro and CaptureOne 6, I can open-with CameraRAW if I need another TIFF version of my original edits, or start from scratch with CO-6. No dice with CaptureOne 7 here.

So I guess DNG support with CO-7 is still rather … wonky. If you heavily rely on CaptureOne for your processing, I wouldn’t go the DNG route. My main camera nowadays natively shoots DNG, but it sucks I can’t reprocess the old Oly files with CO7. Wouldn’t be a problem if I hadn’t converted them to DNG to begin with.

Best,
-Sascha
nggalai

Postby KylePetrozza » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:45 am

NN634742889189182066UL wrote:long story short, does anyone have any concrete reasons to not switch to dng? other than that CO6 doesn't particularly play well with certain versions of them?

I'll second this request. Anyone? Phase folks, you have any links you'd like to share?
KylePetrozza

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software