Make my own profile with ColorChecker?

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Make my own profile with ColorChecker?

Postby Paul811 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:38 am

I have a beautiful new 1DX. It upsets me that there is not yet a decent profile in C1 for my new baby.
What are the steps for making my own profile, perhaps using ColorChecker?
How do I make the resultant ICC profile my default for my baby?

Thanks for any help. Please don't tell me to go to Lightroom.

Paul
Paul811

Re: Make my own profile with ColorChecker?

Postby John4 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:56 pm

There are third party apps for creating ICC profiles...and I have used Coloreyes 20/20 in the early days when COne profiles were not as goos as they are today. I would not personally try to create one from a color checker, I would think tweaking the existing profile in COne's color editior, saving as an ICC and renaming that would be a quicker, better way...hopefully you have returned some raw files with the issues you are having to COne support....I don't use a 1Dx, but I have heard the profile is not as accurate as it typically is....support will work on the problem if users give them feedback (unless there has been a firmware change, in which case they will be checking that currently....)
John4

Postby PhaseZero » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:01 pm

I do not know answers for all your questions, but was successful with creating a more or less acceptable profile for my new Pentax K-30, which is not yet supported from C1. However the colors are still not perfect and I hesitate to spend too much effort for picture processing with it. I fear that after update of C1 for the K-30 all image processing has to be redone in C1.

Here is my short step by step description for ICC profile generation for C1 with free CoCa software:
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=12629&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p58465

Regards from Joseph
CaptureOnePro v6.4.4 + MediaPro v1.3.1 + IDimager (RIP) + IMatch + Mobjects
VistaHome-32bit, 2Core-P8600@2.4GHz 4GB, Nvidia 9800M-GTX + Win7pro 32bit, 4Core-Pi5-M540@2,53GHz 6GB, ATI-Mob HD5650
PhaseZero

Postby Paul811 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:29 am

Thanks John and Joseph.
Gonna try your suggestions.
Pity PhaseOne are so slow.
have a great day
paul
Paul811

Postby PhaseZero » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:17 pm

I just opened a support ticket,
because the own ICC profiles are not stored permanently for all images:

P0 to P1 Support wrote:during start of C1 I always get error messages "Color Profile Could not be found". This happens when I apply user specific ICC profile (-> Other...) to any raw image. The ICM files are located in directory C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color\... and are display for selection correctly in C1. But only the build in C1 profiles are stored correctly with the image, but the user specific profiles are reset after startup error. I can apply the specific ICC profile again, but it is not stored! This effect is not depending on the raw file type or camera model and is also happening with JPG files.

I found also additional problems that local adjustments are not visible when own ICC profiles are applied. They are applied but really hidden until one of the embedded C1 profiles is applied. That is strange. Perhaps my profiles or all CoCa profiles are somehow corrupt. But they are loaded in C1 and at least the color is applied correctly in C1. May be this is due to my Win system or a my lack of knowledge. I will post possible solution.
CaptureOnePro v6.4.4 + MediaPro v1.3.1 + IDimager (RIP) + IMatch + Mobjects
VistaHome-32bit, 2Core-P8600@2.4GHz 4GB, Nvidia 9800M-GTX + Win7pro 32bit, 4Core-Pi5-M540@2,53GHz 6GB, ATI-Mob HD5650
PhaseZero

Postby SFA » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:38 pm

PhaseZero wrote:I found also additional problems that local adjustments are not visible when own ICC profiles are applied. They are applied but really hidden until one of the embedded C1 profiles is applied. That is strange. Perhaps my profiles or all CoCa profiles are somehow corrupt. But they are loaded in C1 and at least the color is applied correctly in C1. May be this is due to my Win system or a my lack of knowledge. I will post possible solution.

I can't speaak for C1 but I also use a very similar program with a similar UI concept and features (though several years old now) and I often wondered how the software designers for that product decided upon the order in which the edit stack should be processed. In theory they start at the bottom and worked up the stack but I think there are some edits that can be applied at any point (more or less) because they are not much affected directly, of themselves, by other edits although the other edits may make changes that affects the look created.

However I would guess that ICC profiles would in many cases have a broad effect on the files. That may mean that the designers chose to stop processing any 'higher' (or later) adjustments in the linear process of applying changes if the system could not find the ICC profile (or whatever other edits might have a similar requirement) when opening the file. I would guess that most local adjustments, being "layered" on the image, would be affected by ICC adjustments.

If so then it is all part of the same problem.

To be honest I would love to know what processing decisions are made on what basis in order to better understand (one would hope .... but it may not turn out that way!) the effects of different steps one might take in the edit workflow.

I am slightly cautious of having the knowledge though. Potentially there are so many different actions that might interact - not always in 'linear' ways - that to understand it might be to lose the ability to simply use an application and enjoy the results for what they are.

Grant
Last edited by SFA on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SFA

Postby R0bert0 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:03 am

Hello,

I ran into the same problem and ... long history short, the answer is simple: capture one uses ICC profiles specification version 2 and my custom camera ICC profiles where version 4.

You need a custom color profile version 2 and then any color adjustment is possible after applying the custom profile :D

Best regards,
Robert
R0bert0

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software