C1 DB 6.3.5 Activities window keeps popping up

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

C1 DB 6.3.5 Activities window keeps popping up

Postby Johnnykurtz » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:41 pm

Every few minutes, the C1 activities window pops up and says "Autoloaded xxxx out of xxxx metadata sets xx minutes remaining.

This is happening as C1 sits idle, I am not editing or even touching C1.

Why is this, is it normal and what is it doing ?
Cheers,
Johnny Kurtz

Advertising Photographer

w: www.johnnykurtz.com b: www.johnnykurtz.com/blog
Johnnykurtz

Re: C1 DB 6.3.5 Activities window keeps popping up

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:19 pm

This may be caused by the Metadata sync setting in the Preferences/Image tab of CO6, probably it is set to full sync.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Johnnykurtz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 pm

Well, since I only use C1 6 for actual photographic editing and Lightroom 4 for keywording only, what should my Metadata setting be in the preferences.
Cheers,
Johnny Kurtz

Advertising Photographer

Johnnykurtz

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Assuming that you set Lr4 to save key wording into a side car file (.xmp), and assuming you like CO6 to incorporate the keywords in the processed files, I suggest to set the CO6 Preference 'Auto Sync Sidercar XMP' to Load. If you don't mind to incorporate the key words in CO6 processing, set the sync to Never.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Johnnykurtz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Paul,

thank you for the quick reply. I have setup up the preferences per your suggestion as I do work as you described.

What about the two "prefer...." checkboxes under the drop down. For some reason this confuses my bier bruised, 47 years old brain...
Cheers,
Johnny Kurtz

Advertising Photographer

Johnnykurtz

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Johnny,

The two checkboxes in the metadata section of the preferences are about how to handle two respective kind of potential conflicts. To understand these options you need to know a few things about metadata, XMP, and IPTC. What follows comes from the top of my head, and is not thoroughly checked and tested:

Metadata can either be embedded in the (raw) file or stored in (XMP) sidecar files. And metadata can be stored in IPTC fields or in the more extended set of the XMP specification. The XMP specification includes all IPTC fields and more.
Note that the term XMP is used in two different ways.

About the first checkbox:
Embedded metadata can be stored in both the IPTC fields and XMP fields. Potentially, a conflict can arise when one program writes in the IPTC fields and another in the XMP fields and data is different for a specific field between the two. For example: the photographer's name field. CO6 reads both, which one to prefer in case of a conflict?

About the second checkbox:
If one program writes to the raw file to create embedded metadata and another to a sidecar file and again there is double, conflicting information, which one should CO6 give way? You can set this here.

In your workflow, as in most setups, you do not need to set either checkbox. Sometimes you need to set one of them, sometime both. Until you notice something goes wrong and you get unpredictable results in your metadata. That is the moment you start contemplating your options.

It is good to know that in many if not all possible workflows - regarding metadata - with CO6 you can have it your way.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Johnnykurtz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:10 am

Paul,

Many thanks, again!

I want to mention I shoot with a P1 645DF and P40+.

I have set the "Auto Sync Sidecar XMP" to "Load" and left the two check boxes empty. I do all my keywording in LR4 as I have built custom keyword lists for the different agencies I work with. I assume the above settings are the right ones for me based on my interpretation of you explanation. I do have a C1 "Style" that I apply while importing or tethered that adds Copyright and all my contact info into the IPTC contact fields. I also pack all imported and tethered files into EIP's, so I assume this IPTC data stays in the RAW/IIQ file inside the EIP. Is this correct?

My goal is to have all my keywords and IPTC metadata stored inside the RAW/IIQ. This is so when I output the files as a JPG for uploading to an agency like Getty, all my keywords and contact info are intact.

On another note, is there a way to creat custom keyword list for C1 6, like I have done for LR4?

Cheers!
Cheers,
Johnny Kurtz

Advertising Photographer

Johnnykurtz

Postby Ed12 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Where can I get full instructions on what boxes to check etc to set Metadata Field, Sync/Load etc in Preferences? Looks like this is my biggest problem, the reason CO has not been "seeing" cos Settings files since installing CO7.
Ed12

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Ed12 wrote:Where can I get full instructions on what boxes to check etc to set Metadata Field, Sync/Load etc in Preferences? Looks like this is my biggest problem, the reason CO has not been "seeing" cos Settings files since installing CO7.

Ed12, to me it seems your issue is not related to OP's issue, so you probably won't get the attention here you need. If you have an issue with CO7 or CO7-CO6 compatibility, I suggest you open a new thread and preferably in the CO7 forum. Thanks.
Best regards,
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software