Dual Monitor setup

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x for Mac and Windows

Dual Monitor setup

Postby William621 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:33 pm

I have a dual monitor setup. I am having trouble figuring out the "Dual Monitor" workspace.
Could anyone give me an idea how this setup works.
I have the two windows and I am not sure how to use them.
Any hints or other ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill
William621

Re: Dual Monitor setup

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed May 04, 2011 10:51 pm

Do you have a computer with two monitors so that you can set each Capture One window on each display respectively?
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby John4 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:53 pm

You should have your two monitors set up as an extended desktop.....if that's done....choosing the dual monitor workspace (or Windows>Viewer....or F10...) will produce a viewer window you can drag to the second monitor.....

Some functions are available there.....and it can be set to 100% view independently from the preview pane...or vice versa...

I find this to be the fastest way to edit/correct using my second calibrated monitor for the viewer, keystrokes to move from image to image, numbers to rate/select and then delete as a group, and the mouse wheel to fine tune adjustments....
John4

Postby William621 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:49 am

Yes I have 2 monitors with them setup like an extended desktop.
So, the 2nd viewer window place on the 2nd monitor, that is used as a viewer mainly?
I guess one of my concerns is that the 2nd monitor is not as good and is not calibrated.
I need to check and see if I can calibrate it also. I thought for some reason that I could not.
I will try working with the 2 windows and see if I can find a workflow.
Thanks for the input.
William621

Postby John4 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:47 am

I only have one of my monitors calibrated....and that's the one I use for my viewer....the other simply has the main screen for COne, thumbs, tools, and preview pane...because I use the viewer for fine adjustments.

I certainly don't think you need to calibrate both monitors...especially as one is far less capable of being profiled.

Think of this as the same thing you can do in Photoshop...one screen for tools, the other for the image....
John4

Postby Alex1111 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:24 am

It is one of the reasons I prefer one very large monitor over two medium.
Even when the viewer one is calibrated the calibrated one, the tools one may be off a bit and while one is not making adjustments with the 'off' one, the tonal difference in grey doesn't make it easy for one's eyes/brain when switching between them.
Of course it is possible to have two monitors perfectly calibrated. My system didn't support this so I switched back to one monitor.
Alex1111

Postby John4 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:01 pm

...well, everyone has different tastes...my tool screens are Cintiques, the viewer screens are calibrated Eizos...I don't have an issue being distracted by one or the other as I'm getting different info from each...using keyboard shortcuts and mousewheel is very efficient. hope this helps....

John4

Postby William621 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:56 pm

I understand the large single monitor idea.
But when I got my Eizo, I could only afford the 22". I am glad I got it as the color accuracy is fantastic.
I have my old monitor an Apple Cinema 19" that I just started to use for my 2nd monitor
I also am enjoying having more workspace with the 2 monitors. I like having a number of programs open most of the time.
My original thought was to have the browser on the 2nd screen.
:D Thanks so much John4, the photos really helped. I see that the viewer window would go on my Eizo and the main window with the bowser and tools on the 2nd.
This really gives me nice idea how to start working.
Thanks again.
Bill
William621

Postby Raffi3 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:56 pm

yea, but it sucks that we can't see any coffee cups on the table, no papers, no hard drives, or prints, and remotes, or anything. you should look into your lighting setup ;-), at least get a backlit keyboard :-P
Raffi3

Postby John4 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:18 pm

...obviously you've already seen the rest of the desk...<bg>....
John4

Postby Raffi3 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:13 am

hehe
Raffi3

Postby ClauS » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi,
looking for my issue, related to dual monitor setup, I came accross this topic.
I've got a problem (well, maybe it's not really a problem, more like a boring thing). I use a laptop connected to a second monitor, so I extended my desktop through my windows 7 options. For different reasons I set the second monitor as the main (maybe this is the trigger factor). In CO6 I created a personal workspace with the main CO window on my laptop screen and the viewer on the other one. Everything works well but when I close and re-open the program I always find the two windows on the same screen. Everytime I have to move the viewer window to discover the main one and drag it to the laptop screen. Not a big effort but I'd like CO to re-open automatically as it was when I closed it. Does anyone experience this too?

Hoping that my English is good enough, thanks,
ClauS
ClauS

Return to Capture One 6.x, 5.x and 4.x Software