capture one 3.7.9 compatibility with osx 10.6 ?

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

capture one 3.7.9 compatibility with osx 10.6 ?

Postby noel11 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:29 pm

well the title says it all.
I just wanted to put this one out there -

how many of you kids would like to see phaseone support 3.7.9 with version 10.6 OSX?

im presuming i am not the only one that still prefers the old version for certain tasks and will likely be using it for the next 6-12 months until all issues are resolved with version 4.

also presuming that people are using both programs parallel in some instances?

please leave a comment so phaseone get an idea of how many of us are out there.
support could be just around the corner.

many thanks noel
noel11

Re: capture one 3.7.9 compatibility with osx 10.6 ?

Postby Keith3 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:12 pm

I, too, am a dedicated v.3 user. Any time a software upgrade by phaseone is released that has so many issues like v.4 has had is reason enough to stay with v.3. The idea of v.4 is great, but there have been too many updates to correct a version, that in my opinion, shouldn't have been released until it was FULLY tested. Being a professional photographer, I can't afford to not have a software work perfectly while clients are standing next to my computer watching.
I hope v.3 will be compatible, but I'm not holding my breath. Since the forum moderator reads these posts, I'd love a response..............

Thanks, in advance!
Keith3

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Keith3 wrote:...
I hope v.3 will be compatible, but I'm not holding my breath. Since the forum moderator reads these posts, I'd love a response..............

No offense intended but I also hope you read the posts here. CO3.x is end-of-life for 1 to 2 years now (depends on whether you have a LE or Pro version). If it runs on OS X 10.6, enjoy, if not: stick with 10.5.

You are not alone in maintaining an older Mac - OS - application combination for some years. Sometimes it is an application or a device like printer or scanner that forces one to stick to a particular combination of technologies. Tip for CO3 users: don't buy a new camera!
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby noel11 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:38 pm

Paul_E wrote:
Keith3 wrote:...
No offense intended but I also hope you read the posts here. CO3.x is end-of-life for 1 to 2 years now

are you serious ?
i dont know any of my professional colleagues that are using this software on set, under pressure or in any real world work flow situation, unless they have too.

i also find it curious that phaseone waves the big white flag for doing everything in raw and then chooses not to support any of its legacy software component wise in c4, that truly deserves a round of applause. great i cant wait to dig out all those files that are archived with c3 presets attached them - nice work.

suggesting that you stay in the legacy operating system also presents it own problems if you are using multiple camera systems ie d3x and a p45 or p30. and need to change from one camera system to the other.

not to mention that there are still features missing from c4 that have been there from the start in c3.

again as everyone has mentioned this is suppose to be a professional product - you should at least support your own legacy products until you can bring your new products up to speed that achieve the same functionality as the original product.

and again to reiterate this is suppose to be the same company producing the same product. an update, quicker, faster, stronger - im not sure what we have at the moment , and its been just on a year since the original release.

again i think i am not alone with these concerns - im not a luddite there are benefits to the new software etc, they are just not there yet.

regards noel
noel11

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:36 pm

I am not discussing the merits of the software. Whether CO4 can live up against CO3 is yours to decide. Can't argue about that (although I have an opinion). My reply was to the OP's question whether there will be any developments regarding CO3.

Phase One has stated here more than once that there will not be any development what so ever on CO3. Not my statement, just helping in getting the OP's question answered. My opinion: Phase One better put their effort in improving CO4 to fill in the gaps that are still left. The good news is: that is exactly what they are doing right now.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby noel11 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:32 pm

hi paul,
yes i understand what phases position is on this and i understand that they want to push forward on c4.

- the problem is there are still a lot of holes in c4, and i am sure they are working very conscientiously towards resolving these issues, its just taking a very long time - 1 year and counting.

the problem i have, is that i run a business and it depends on this product as a core tool. i can wait or i can use the program that does what it says on the tin, that is c3, and yes you are going to say that i should use it in a legacy operating system. the problem i have is that i use multiple camera systems ie p65, canon mrk3 and d3x and technology marches forward, apparently it is not suppose to march backwards.

unfortunately for me it almost feels as though c3 was built by another company.

they have a perfectly good "old" product, why not at least support it as legacy product for the next year while they get c4 up to speed?
its not like we have spent 10-20 grand on there products or anything?
regards noel
noel11

Postby ekfphoto » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:25 am

Noel,

I agree with you 100%. CO3 is the only thing keeping me from Mac OS 10.6, because t works so well. I dread the day that I am forced into using CO4 exclusively.
Mac Pro 8 core 3.2
6 GB RAM
P30
Mamiya 645 AFD
ekfphoto

Postby ekfphoto » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:40 am

Check out my test results: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7509
Mac Pro 8 core 3.2
6 GB RAM
P30
Mamiya 645 AFD
ekfphoto

Postby Scott81 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 am

I can tell you that in Australia, or Sydney at least no one uses CO4.
There are some really good aspects to CO4
- The preview images from my P30 look better
- the focus checker is great.
- It connects the camera faster.
- and I like the black screen
But that's it!

I still don't understand why they would change such perfect software
I was using CO4 last week on leopard. CO4 hates it when you process and shoot tethered at the same time, it craps itself and dies. Doing this also corrupted CO4 on that computer and I don't know how to uncorrupt the software. I now use lightroom with my canon 5dmk ii. Not perfect but it's the only option I have.

Today I tried using CO4 with my P30 because I stupidly updated my computer to snow leopard, which means CO3 now has problems. So what happens with CO4.
- It crashes and crashes and crashes. When inserted every second card it crashed.
- and now it's corrupted as well. I can't set the output folder in my current session.
- It's so incredibly slow compared to CO3.

Don't load snow Leopard onto mac if you want CO3 to still work!
- It processes Jpegs as negatives.
- and it occasionally crashes
- and cards take AGES to eject

There were a few issues with CO3, mostly the folder structuring issue. They tried fixing this by making the folders work like the finder. WRONG!
Though I do take my many years experience with CO3 for granted in that I know all the ins and outs and can fix most problems easily.

I want the old software back and for it to work with my new cameras. PLEASE!
Scott81

Postby Ralph » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:25 pm

I must agree with the observations made above. While it is certainly true that many refinements have been introduced with v. 4 both in regard to file previews, processing and conversion speed and quality, the workflow in v 3.7.9 is much superior throughout and I regret that many of its foundational features have been abandoned. I fail to comprehend why this must be the case.
Ralph Eisenberg
Ralph

Postby rap_digital » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:12 am

Actually C1 v3x kinda was made by another company. Alot of the components were written by Apple.

@ Scott I'm a digital tech based in Melbourne and work in Sydney etc and I have been using V4 for some time and on the most part have been VERY happy. I read about alot of horror stories but (touch wood) haven't experienced them. Whether this is to do with me running an extremely clean system or just dumb luck I'm not sure. Cf card import is very slow on a laptop I prefer to cancel the import window and just finder copy them over instead, actually I have written an app that copies backs up and verifies but thats not relevant. On my Mac Pro CF import is more usable.

The biggest thing keeping you from 10.6 at present is that its not a finished OS.
rap_digital

Return to Capture One 3.x Software