Nikon D700 NEF Files - Supported?

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

Nikon D700 NEF Files - Supported?

Postby Nic21 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:19 pm

Dear List,

I'm running C1Pro 3.7.8 on a PC using XP SP2. I have recently got a Nikon D700 but now the first time I shoot NEF Raw files C1Pro says the folder is empty when there clearly are files there. It's driving me crazy. I really need to process these files but I cannot.

Any ideas? Please can some one help???

Nic...
Nic21

Re: Nikon D700 NEF Files - Supported?

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Update to CO4; free update to CO3 license.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Nic21 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:53 pm

Yes, but the CO4 has a horrid user interface, is sluggish, slow and clunky and really, in my eyes (and a lot of others on this forum), NOT a Pro version. I try to (avoid) using it on my Mac at home.

In any event, I did download the version on my work PC but it will not let me activate the licence and it has now expired. I still have 2x free upgrades left. It really is too much trouble to deactivate all the firewall and AV filters we have in place at work to get the licence to be accepted. I have to put in a Works Request to get the IT guys in to deactivate firewalls. Why P1 can't make life easy for hard working, stressed photographers is beyond me.

Sorry to rant. My P1 C1pro worked brilliantly for years. I sung its praises to the unconverted. I thought it was the best there was. I still do for my D2x files. It is quick and easy to use. However, if they can't get a decent bit of software for pro's to use I will be searching elsewhere :(
Nic21

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:39 pm

Upgrading to CO4 has a learning curve. Sufficient discussion about that here already. I think it pays back in the end. You will miss some features but gain some as well. Get over it, is my humble opinion. Image quality surpasses CO3.

Activation requires TCP/port 80 (for your admins) which is what all standard web browsing uses. No firewall issues here.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Nic21 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks for the reply. I will attempt activation again on Monday. Hopefully things are a little less stressed then and I'll have more time.

Perhaps my rant against CO4 is a little hasty - only time will tell.

It's typical that software, hardware, operators never work as expected when you are up against tight deadlines.
Still, I found the trial version very very very slow on my PC system - Quad Core very fast processor, 4 GB Ram, 3x SATA internal HDDs etc etc. It took ages and ages to generate the thumbnails when initially opening folders. So long in fact I thought it had crashed. I think a few times it did. It was only when I left the office to get coffee that on my return there were thumbnails visible. It never happened again (generating TNs) - hence the expiry of the trial and not activating it.

I trust that activating CO4 will still leave me free to use C1Pro for my D2x and other files??! I don't have the luxury of time to learn a new way of working in one go.
Nic21

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:51 am

"Deadlines are killing, that's what makes them deadlines"
Enforce changes to your computer environment only when there is no pressure.

You can have CO3 and CO4 installed on the same computer; you can even run them simultaneously if you want (with the exception of tethering). CO4 should not be that slow; I found CO3 preview generation not particularly fast. However CO4 tends to be slow with a large amount (> 1000) of images in a single folder. Maybe you best uninstall CO4 and install it again. Check whether you have the latest from download pages (4.8.2 is current).
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Nic21 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:18 am

OK. I have downloaded the latest version of CO4 and have installed it and activated it successfully. However, I have a couple of problems.

1/ To install any software on works computers, the user has to be logged on as an Administrator. This I can do as I have special dispensation to do this on my PC's to to ongoing software updates etc (such as CO3/4 and PS CS4 etc)

2/ To run applications I have to log on as a normal user.

3/ CO4 opens fine - however I cannot navigate to any folders on my HDDs containing my RAW files - I get a constant "loading" sign.

4/ If I "run as Administrator" CO4 will navigate to the folders on my HDD fine. However, it is forbidden to run programs as "administrator" here and if I do they will suspend my account.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Nic.
Nic21

Postby Nic21 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Also, how does one add adjusted files to the Batch Process que? Say i have 30 files in a folder of 60 that I want to process. There does not seem to be a way to select these 30 and add them to the Process Folder, or am I missing something? I rate them as say 1 star. > select files by rating > Edit > process. It only processes the first file and not the other 29. Any ideas?
Nic21

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Nic21 wrote:Also, how does one add adjusted files to the Batch Process que? Say i have 30 files in a folder of 60 that I want to process. There does not seem to be a way to select these 30 and add them to the Process Folder, or am I missing something? I rate them as say 1 star. > select files by rating > Edit > process. It only processes the first file and not the other 29. Any ideas?

You are missing the Edit Primary Only toggle (switch it off). Find in the toolbar and Edit menu (here you find the shortcut too).
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Nic21 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Paul,

Hi. Thanks for the answer. I had found this solution by Googling, so now happily processing batches.

I also solved the problem of the Admin Logon by logging on as a user and Installing under "run as aministrator". We are strictly not supposed to do this as running .exe files when connected to the network can trash our system, but I thought I could trust your downloads :D

All sorted now thanks. Just have to get to grips with the new interface. Two immediate questions 1/ Can you scroll from image to image using the Mouse Scroll wheel? In C1 3.7 you could and it was very useful when dealing with hundreds of images; and 2/ Is there an "Auto Exposure Adjust" keyboard shortcut like 3.7? I think it was CTRL-Shift-W? Very useful for quick proofing adjustments. The "A" on the Tools menu is very small on a very high res screen.

Thanks

Nic.
Nic21

Postby Michael304 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:49 pm

3.7x is easy and simple and saves hours on workflow
Why do Phase One have to Change things Why can't support D700
My D3 died I feel like throwing away my D700 now.
Same problem I had until Phase one supported D3, on 3.7, I still shot with the D2x until this came about!
The difficulting in the interface slow cumbersome now up down on scroll meant I have to review other software for ease and speed.
This takes hours of wasted time.
Michael304

Return to Capture One 3.x Software