C1 Pro no longer reads RAW

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

C1 Pro no longer reads RAW

Postby Sandra112 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:40 am

I am using C1 Pro (v 3.7.6) and I shoot with a Canon 20D (Windows XP). I have not changed a thing with my camera, PC or the software, but I did a portrait session a while back and when I attempted to convert the RAW images, my C1 program would not recognize themm. I can't figure out what's wrong and I cannot convert my images.

Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?
Sandra112

Re: C1 Pro no longer reads RAW

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 pm

Don't have a clue yet, therefore a few questions.
Have you been able to open the particular raw files in the past with Capture One 3.x?
Are you able to open other raw images with CO 3.x, either from another camera or the same 20D?
What are the symptoms of 'not recognizing' the image (question mark, error messages)
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby deejjjaaaa » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Sandra wrote:I am using C1 Pro (v 3.7.6) and I shoot with a Canon 20D (Windows XP). I have not changed a thing with my camera, PC or the software, but I did a portrait session a while back and when I attempted to convert the RAW images, my C1 program would not recognize themm. I can't figure out what's wrong and I cannot convert my images.

download something like a free raw converter (for example http://www.rawtherapee.com/rawtherapee24rc2.exe) to check if it will be able to open your files, that way at least you will be sure more or less that those raw files are not corrupted...
RAW:: .PEF (Pentax) + .RW2 (Panasonic) + .X3F (Sigma)...
deejjjaaaa

Postby Sandra112 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:53 am

Thank you both for the reply. Paul, to answer your questions, the files I was trying to open were new so, no they had not been opened previously w/C1. No, I can no longer open other RAW files that had been opened in the past. In addition, I just bought a 50D and tried some test files from the new camera and they are not recognized either. When I say C1 won't recognize the files, they do not appear in the left file browser pane -- it just says "This Collection is Currently Empty..." regardless of the fact that it does contain RAW files (.CR2). I have two screen prints to illustrate what I am seeing, but am not able to upload files. I'm accessing files directly from the CF card, which contains both RAW and JPG files, yet when I navigate to that folder in C1, it tells me the collection is empty (i.e., it does not recognize them). Usually, I will navigate to a folder of RAW images and all of the thumbnails appear in the left file browser pane.
It just doesn't make sense!

I did download the free converter that Dee suggested. I was able to see the files from the new 50D, but not the ones I was trying to process when I originally posted.
Sandra112

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun May 17, 2009 8:44 am

Canon 50D raw files are not supported even by the latest version of CO 3.x (CO 3.7.8 Pro/Win if I am correct). You need CO 4.x for that.
Regarding your 20D files, my best guess is that your installation of CO 3.7.6 has become corrupted. Therefore I suggest to download either CO 3.7.8 Pro or CO 4.8 Pro or better both, uninstall your current version and install the download(s).

In case you hesitate to use CO 4.8 and/or want to be able to use older file with their CO 3.x adjustments, install both CO 3.7.8 Pro and CO 4.8 Pro. CO 4.x should be a free upgrade for you and you have your 50D support and improved image quality. What do you want more in life? ;-)
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 3.x Software