Upgrades

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

Upgrades

Postby David6 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:01 pm

Might sound like a silly question but when downloading the latest version of Capture One, should I uninstall the previous version or are there shared files between the two? I currently have seven versions and this obviously takes up a lot of space.
David6

Re: Upgrades

Postby John4 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:11 pm

This has varied over the long lifespan of the product...generally install over in 3.7 while V4 likes you to remove the previous install.

Best to read the ReadMe notes that are provided with each install for specific recommendations (good procedure for ALL software) and if removing a prior version, be prepared to spend a couple of minutes reestablishing your preferred workspace.

I don't bother with saving workspace preferences with either COne or Photoshop, others may....and I never upgrade either on a computer that's essential for immediate production.
John4

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:16 pm

David wrote:Might sound like a silly question but when downloading the latest version of Capture One, should I uninstall the previous version or are there shared files between the two? I currently have seven versions and this obviously takes up a lot of space.

Hi David, I assume you refer to the list in Add/Remove Programs (Control Panel) when you talk about seven versions. When updating CO 3.x, each installation adds itself to the list where it should remove the older one but is doesn't. Updates of CO 3.x are installed on top of each other and do not take extra space as it may seem. Therefore, I made it a habit to remove an older version of CO 3.x before installing a newer one. Note that license information is obtained after uninstall, so no extra activations are necessary as well. Since you have not uninstalled older versions, you are stuck with a list that does not represent what's installed. If you really want to, there is a workaround, by the way.

Regarding what the other poster mentioned about coexistence of CO 3 and 4 I disagree with him. These version have there program files, registry settings, license information and adjustments completely separated. You not only can you have them both installed on your computer, you can even run them at the same time.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby John4 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:15 pm

Paul...no disagreement about coexistence. I use both. I mentioned 3.x because it was best IMHO to install prior versions over the previous version...and removal was not part of the upgrade..... until V4. Then the recommended installation procedure was modified to removal of prior V4 installs. I suspect most users do not uninstall prior V4's.

As the question was about the latest....PhaseOne suggests removing or installing to a different folder in the ReadMe files....I quote:
>>Installation
If you previously have installed versions of Capture One 4 on your computer we recommend that you start by uninstalling these before you install this version of Capture One 4. If you want to keep your existing versions of Capture One 4 you can install this newer version of Capture One 4 in a different location. Image settings made with older versions of Capture One 4 can be used in the newer Capture One 4.6.x, but
the opposite is not the case
.<<

I belive there are many who will follow the procedure they always have in 3.x and priors, just installing updates over the present version. I also belive that will introduce some of the problems users have in V4.....but in any case, downloading and following README notes as to the rather significant installation recommendations between 3.x and V4 was the point of my post, not compatability. I apologise for the confusion.
John4

Postby David6 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:27 pm

Thanks, both, for your replies. I see I have some juggling to do!
David6

Postby John4 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:04 pm

David wrote:Thanks, both, for your replies. I see I have some juggling to do!

Sorry for the confusion...there should be no juggling involved. I was obtuse because for some users, the latest version could refer to 3.x OR V4....and I feel strongly that you should always download and read the Release notes, so that was the point of my post.

Simply leave any install of 3.7 in place. It will not be affected. Uninstall any prior versions of V4 (especially betas)....then download and install the latest version of V4. You can activate V4 with the original COne serial number given at purchase. It will activate the proper version you purchased.

You will then have your version of 3.7 working perfectly well, and V4 running as a separate program. Both can be used....nice for aquainting yourself with the newest version.
John4

Postby David6 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:13 am

Dear both,
I have taken the plunge and re-installed both versions, so have both working fine now although 4 is a bit slow, probably my computer's fault.
Thanks,
David
David6

Return to Capture One 3.x Software