C1P v. 3.79 and support for the 5D MKII and g10

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

C1P v. 3.79 and support for the 5D MKII and g10

Postby NN52192 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:45 am

I'm wondering if you guys will be updating Capture One Pro v 3.79 to include support for the G10 and 5D MKII...?

I"m still on a power pc machine and I'm not thrilled at having to upgrade my system just for C1P v4. I'm a working digital tech and photographer I use 3.79 on a daily basis...I really love the software. I've found the interface in V4 to be awkward - I'd really prefer to keep using 3.79 - however both myself and my clients have been shooting on the g10 and the 5dmkII. I'd prefer to stay on Capture One, but today I found myself forced to buy Photoshop Lightroom. It's clunkier than c1p4, but it handles the g10/5d and runs on power pc machines. I strongly prefer using capture one...it's faster, easier, cleaner.

But i know a lot of other techs and photographers who are having similar problems/concerns...it really would be great if you'd allow us to keep using the software we're comfortable with. I work at many of the major studios in new york - and everyone wants to stay on c1p 3...
I'd rather not have to switch to c1p 4 - or have to buy a new machine just to use it.

Thanks,

-Joshua...
NN52192

Re: C1P v. 3.79 and support for the 5D MKII and g10

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:42 am

Short answer: no. Discussed several times here; recent reply from Phase One staff:
viewtopic.php?p=26656#p26656
Bottom line is that CO4.x is Phase One's escape from the time consuming maintenance of CO3.x (among other reasons).
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN52192 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:29 am

well, that kind of stinks. we're all happy with c1p v 3...why force us all to change?

and i'm serious - i love c1p, and use it daily, i hate that i'm being forced onto lightroom.

Paul_E wrote:Short answer: no. Discussed several times here; recent reply from Phase One staff:
viewtopic.php?p=26656#p26656
Bottom line is that CO4.x is Phase One's escape from the time consuming maintenance of CO3.x (among other reasons).
NN52192

Postby Henry1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:00 am

I'm one that also hope to see P1 continue to update V3.7.9 but in fairness, they did not force us to switch to V4.xx We force ourselves when we changed to newer cameras. We can always continue to use our older cameras with V3.7.9.

I think any software developer would die of hunger if they continue to update their software without getting paid. Look at Adobe Camera Raw, they make sure you pay an update premium every 18 months or so.
===================
P1 645DF Camera / P30+
EOS 1Ds MKIII

===================
Henry1

Postby NN52192 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:45 pm

maybe. except that i work at many of the top studios here in new york city and no one is using c1p v4...we're all still using 3.7x...occasionally i'll see people using v4 for processing...but no one is using it for capture as of yet. there isn't a single tech or photographer i know who wants to use it.

all i'm saying is - remember what happened to leaf when they came out w/ leaf capture 10. i wouldn't say that it killed that company...but i do know that everyone stopped using leaf at that point because capture one was far more stable with a much better interface. important lesson there, for sure. i still don't know any major photographers/studios that use leaf these days.

and shouldn't software conform to the hardware? not the other way around. i think there are a lot more people purchasing the g10 and 5dmkII than there are people purchasing c1p. phase one could easily win over a lot of people right now...

Henry wrote:I'm one that also hope to see P1 continue to update V3.7.9 but in fairness, they did not force us to switch to V4.xx We force ourselves when we changed to newer cameras. We can always continue to use our older cameras with V3.7.9.

I think any software developer would die of hunger if they continue to update their software without getting paid. Look at Adobe Camera Raw, they make sure you pay an update premium every 18 months or so.
NN52192

Postby Daniel 166 » Wed May 13, 2009 2:19 pm

could not agree more. Outraged at how bad capture one have been in the past few months. capture one 4 is not particularly good and ridiculous that they wouldn't add profiles to their excellent c1 pro 3.7 is beyond me. i do not like capture one 4 even though again we are forced to convert. We have constant problems with it and as it used on several computers on a daily basis is a complete headache for us. we have four p45+ backs here and have spent well over 100,000 GBP with phase and to say that it is costly to add a profile or camera settings on to a working version of their software is terrible. We will be looking to change systems in the near future. the cost of training people to use new software and lack of support from capture one is terrible. I somehow don't think such a large money making machine will really suffer from making its staff do some work do you!!
Daniel 166

Postby Adam1 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:55 pm

I would pay money to have updated profiles for the latest cameras supported in C1 3.79.

I feel much resentment towards Phase One and this policy to leave a working group of professionals (I too shoot in NYC) left without out support. When...? I hear from photographers that the new version C1v4 actually facilitates photographers shooting in a professional environment I will start to look into it. As of now the reverse is the case. Professionals use equipment / software that works consistently and saves us time. Right now that is still C1 3.79. For years I had to deal with a buggy Capture One. Being a early adopter I was one of the unofficial beta testers. Let's face it the program was buggy for a long time. But even so it was the best out. Now that it actually is working and dependable I will not be forced by marketing hype, fancy interfaces, and PR to use a program that has yet to be proven better. Better to be shooting pictures than sitting behind a computer processing files. So if using the older version allows me to spend less time viewing a monitor on my own or with techs who charge overtime by the hour the decision is easy.
I refuse to jump on the early adopter wagon and beta test
unreliable software. The last thing I want to do is be emailing Phase One with questions regarding bugs and feature issues.

Perhaps PR @ phase should consider the loss of working profesionals that might look to other platforms if we are not catered to in terms of support. Charge us if need be. I'd gladly pay to have profiles for the newer cameras created to work with C1 3.79.

Adam Olszewski
http://www.adamophoto.com
Adam1

Postby noel11 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:47 pm

it would seem that the professional community still works and plays in c1 3.7.
would it be too much to support this product while c4 comes up to speed.

we are all professionals and i am sure if this product was supported you would not have a problem getting us to pay a premium or subscription fee for an update to c1 3.7x

at the moment phase seem to be alienating and aggravating there customer base.

regards noel
noel11

Return to Capture One 3.x Software