Capture One Pro 3.7.8 Need help tethering, sessions, folders

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

Capture One Pro 3.7.8 Need help tethering, sessions, folders

Postby George182 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:43 pm

I'm a professional photographer. Most of my professional photography experience has been in sports photography, shooting on film, which I retired from in 2002. About a year ago, I was coaxed into doing photography of fine furniture and home residential interiors for interior designers. I'm using the Canon 5D, Capture One Pro ver. 3.7.8, and I'm now using a Macbook Pro, running on OS X ver. 10.5.5 (Leopard). My processor is a 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the memory is 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.
Here's the crux of my problem. I'm in my early 60's and a college graduate; however, I've had ADHD all of my life and I'm convinced I have an undiagnosed learning disability, as well. I'm lost in the dust with computers!
I'm confident the Phase One online tutorial is an excellent reference for most people, however, I'm not able to use it well.
I love shooting tethered....problem is it sometimes takes me an hour just to get the computer to tether to the camera and the problem seems to be that I just don't have a simplified way of going thru the steps to get properly tethered and then after the shoot I have trouble finding what I shot.
I'm confident I have the camera setup properly.
Can anyone give me a simplified step by step procedure that will work for me to get the computer to get tethered to the camera, with an easy way to setup a session, including how to create a folder that will hold the images as RAW captures, that I will easily be able to access later? I also need to know what to do at the end of the session. I know how to burn the DVD once I get the folder to the desktop....but it's hit and miss to get it to the desktop. The bottom line is that I need a lot more detail than is included in the Tudor for Capture One Pro....that is, all the menu's and selections I need to click on to get everything setup.....this is probably too basic for most folks, because most Capture One Pro users are, I'm sure, a lot more computer literate than I am.
BTW, I've always used a gray card when shooting film and I also use it at the beginning of each change in type of lighting, but, the person who does my postprocessing, is a highly competent graphic artist, says he doesn't need one. When I don't shoot tethered, I simply use a gray card and the custom white balance menu in the 5D and I get excellent results. However my camera won't allow me to white balance with Capture One and I don't know how to white balance using Capture One and then saving the setting.
I shoot in RAW using Adobe RGB.
Is there anyone on this forum who has the patience to help me? Or, do you know of any computerized learning programs where one can go thru all of the steps one at a time with questions after each small sections.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to know how to do the entire processing myself, but I have to be able to do quickly and competently do the above first.
I love the light values readings, the histogram. and the focus tools in Capture One. It a great way to shoot.
George182

Re: Capture One Pro 3.7.8 Need help tethering, sessions, folders

Postby Ulf » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 am

I will try help you with this in the absolute most simple way possible.

Top left. there is 6 tabs.
1st tab.You tool for where files should be.
Click the "+"
This will create a "session" which is the same as your "shoot"

In "Name" calll it what ever you like
IN "Location" Change this with the "choose" button so it says "¨/Desktop"
Leave the rest and press "OK"

What you have done now is to create a folder on you desktop with a name you have specified.

This folder contains a "Capture" folder. Here is where the images you shoot goes in.
"Process folder" is the processed RAW files goes in and it also contains a "Trash" folder for images you have trashed in the application.

Now go to the second tab in the application.
Connect camera and shoot.

Once you are happy and want to process go to the last tab and process images according to your preference.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby James 7 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:42 am

George where are you in the world? We can offer some one to one tuition and help if you are local?

Also have a look at Walter Borchenko's book on Capture 3.7. It's an excellent resourse for using the software to it's full potential.
James 7

Postby George182 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:57 am

Thank you Ulf. Your simple instructions are a huge help...I'm now connecting quickly on a consistent basis! :D
George182

Return to Capture One 3.x Software