Rotated images are resized even when I ask not to

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

Postby unphased » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:10 pm

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, did a search but couldn't see anything.

NEFs from my D200, after I rotate them manually in C1, are being resized when they're output as TIFs, even if I have scaling set at 100% and don't specify a width.

EG an unscaled, unrotated porrait shot results in a 57.7MB file, whereas the same file when rotated is output at 36.5MB

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Adrian
unphased

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:40 pm

I ran a test in which I rotated a D200 NEF to 0-90-180-270 degree positions. With CO 3.7.8 Pro on XP Pro SP2. All 16-bit TIFF output was approx 57.7 MB in size.

Question: what are the dimensions of the files in pixels, rotated and non-rotated? I mean I care less about MB but more about pixels.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby unphased » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:42 pm

Hi Paul - I tried a couple of other things and noticed the following: if I use the buttons in the menu which rotate the image a preset amount (i.e. either 90 degrees left or 90 degrees right), the file when saved maintains its original size (3872 x 2592). If I use the rotate button where you can type in a value (like 90 degrees), the file size when saved is 1951 x 3228. However, if the rotation is anything other than exactly 90 degrees, and I use this method, or if I apply any kind of crop, the resulting file sizes seem random (i.e., they are not the same as the dimensions indicated in the function tabs which reflect the intended crop).

So, my solution was to (laboriously) reset all the rotated images back to unrotated and rotate/crop them in Photoshop instead, to be on the safe side.

It seems that if I use the preset 90 degree buttons all is well - unless I apply a crop! This does somewhat hinder my workflow, because I'm having to open the files in PS to complete stuff that should really be perfectly doable from within C1.

Any insight much appreciated.

Adrian
unphased

Return to Capture One 3.x Software