Photographers worst digital nightmare

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

Photographers worst digital nightmare

Postby Bay1 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:39 pm

I recently did a location shoot in the lake district 350 miles from home. I was using a 1DS Mk2 shooting to 2 gb cards. After the first couple of hours shooting my assistant imported the images from 4 cards into C1pro 3.7 on my PowerBook which is running OSX10.3.9. The team all admired the Raw preview images on the lap top and we made a few exposure modifications to a dozen or so shots . We then moved several times to different locations each time putting the laptop to sleep in the car. We had almost finished the shoot when my experienced assistant announced that the captures folder in the session was coming up red and all the images were missing.Strangely the session folder and the trash folder were still there and so were the image (plist)settings of the shots we had modified.I will mention at this point that we had recently downloaded a fresh version of C1 pro and this was the first time I had used it.\"No worries\" says my assistant we still have the shots on the cards.
We arrived back in London to discover that C1 pro had deleted all the images from the cards and we had no other back up! The new C1pro had reverted to the default setting which deletes images on card after import.... a disaster waiting to happen.I had done many shoots with the same assistant and we had never needed to uncheck that box.
Whith lots of location pressures and distractions both of us failed to notice the delete check box was highlighted.
I have searched my hard drive every which way and the pictures are nowhere to be found.Thankfully I was finally able to get most of the raw images from the cards using an image recovery software but this took time and money lots of renumbering. It's still a mystery what happened to all those images which we all saw so clearly.
Perhaps the Phase One team could reverse that default setting so someone else doesnt fall into the trap!
Bay1

Postby Jon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:32 pm

Hello,

I just double checked the defaults and delete from card is not checked... it may have been checked by accident on your computer.
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby kenscottphoto » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:47 pm

If you haven't shot the cards again my I suggest this software app. It is the ONLY app that I use to get images off CF cards.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

I have the expert version $30 USD and it is amazing. I used the free Lexar and Sandisk versions they they didn't get back nearly as many photos.

I would try it, on all the cards from the shoot, even if you have shot on them, it can't hurt.

I have hit, in the bright sun moving fast, the delete after import box. It should not be there, always reformat the cards in camera that way the images are on the CF cards until the last minute.

Good luck!
kenscottphoto
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby kenscottphoto » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:01 am

I quickly took my firewire 400/800 sandisk cf reader and took a sandisk extreme IV 2 gig card, filled with canon 1dsM3 raw files. I imported it in C1pro 3.7.9 and I checked the import/delete button. After it finished I ejected the card, verified that the images were gone and then got 100% of them back in the software that I mentioned above. I then tried this with P30+ large raw files and I got all of them back as well. I hope this helps you get back some of the job.

Ken
kenscottphoto
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby max fox » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:47 pm

Did you check to see if you could add the session again ?

Otherwise get a new assistant as he should have checked it was backed up or at least checked before deleting the cards.

user error by the sounds of it.
max fox

Postby James 7 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:48 am

I've got an Ops/Assistants course running on the 6th if its of interest? See the blog/website for more details.
James 7

Postby John 32 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:14 am

I have several years digital assisting and my advice would be to never let any software access the raw image data itself. I always copy to a folder on a separate drive and then let the software access the drive or files on the computer, but never from the actual source itself. It's too risky, and understandably it's very easy to make mistakes dealing with everything else on a shoot. It is slower, of course, but it keeps problems like this from happening. Also I definitely recommend datarescue as well, it's by far the best retrieval program I've seen. Just be sure to work off of a backup of the data, not the original.
John 32

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:02 am

Import or download software might have the option to copy the images to TWO locations during import. I have an external drive (2.5\"HDD in enclosure without power adapter) attached during import for this purpose. A great safety measure in case of human / software / hardware error.

After archiving my images, I clean up the files on the external drive regularly to create space for the next round.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 3.x Software