RAW photos will not load in 3.7.7

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

RAW photos will not load in 3.7.7

Postby irishscott » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:54 am

Hoping someone can help with my problem. I have downloaded and installed Capture One 3.7.7 LE for my Mac 10.3.9. The camera I shoot with is a Pentax K10D. The software says it supports the camera, but I cannot get a single picture to come up in the program. I have tried going from the card, camera, hard drive, moving folders into the drop folders here, etc.........All preferences are set appropriately after reading the documentation. The only photos that will ever dump into the program are JPEG's. I have not activated the software as I would like to try it out before purchasing. However, it would be nice to have it work first.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
irishscott

Re: RAW photos will not load in 3.7.7

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:20 am

irishscott wrote:[...] I have not activated the software as I would like to try it out before purchasing. However, it would be nice to have it work first.

I would call this the statement of the week. :D

I have no experience with the K10D, but perhaps it has different settings like PEF or DNG or compressed raw? And maybe CO 3.7.7 does not support all formats from the K10D. Try different camera settings.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

It says........K10D supported

Postby irishscott » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:28 am

Thanks for the help. I am saving the files in DNG format. The documentation says that the Pentax K10D is supported, which furthers ads to the confusion as to why photos won't load. Go figure...............
irishscott

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:16 am

Yes, I know what the documentation says, but sometimes documentation does not tell us all. Could you make a few shots in PEF and let us know if it helps?
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby James 7 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:21 pm

I have no experience of this camera either. However: What do you mean by \"saving to DNG\"?

The software will only support the PEF RAW file (standard file, not compressed or such)
James 7

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:35 pm

Humannorobot wrote:I have no experience of this camera either. However: What do you mean by "saving to DNG"?

The software will only support the PEF RAW file (standard file, not compressed or such)

The K10D can either safe raw as PEF or DNG. I assume CO 3.7.7 and later support the PEF format only, but I do not find any confirmation in the release notes where the CO4 release notes explicitly mention PEF only support (that is that I assume CO 3.7.7 will also only support PEF.) If the original poster or another K10D user will try and confirm than this case can be closed...
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Great Advice! It worked!

Postby irishscott » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:34 am

Thank you for helping me figure out the issue. The pictures are finally being read when I changed the RAW file format from DNG to PEF. Looks like I will have to decide before I shoot whether or not I want to use Photoshop or Capture One. Photoshop only works with DNG files and Capture One, thanks to your help, can read PEF files. At least now I can see Capture One's ability to process photos.

Thanks again and happy shooting!
irishscott

Return to Capture One 3.x Software