Leopard 10.5.2

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

Postby James9 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:00 pm

\"What you can do is set Image Capture Prefs to \"No Application\" in the \"When Camera is connected, open\" option. Then close image capture and reconnect he camera.

I have had this disabled for some time so perhaps that is the root problem here? We will of course continue to investigate should this not be the solution for everyone.\"

That doesn't seem to be the problem with my setup. I've always had that set to no application. I have had luck either quitting the type8camera process in the activity monitor, or moving the unix executable file. Doing the latter no longer requires you to quit the process in activity monitor. You can find it at
system/library/image capture/devices/Type8Camera. You can't alter or move it but if you right click and tell the finder to show package contents, you can see the contents/MacOS folders. I moved the unix file in there to my documents folder and haven't had any more problems.

It seems like this is somewhat isolated to the canon 1ds MKII. I don't know what that unix file does but it kills your connection with a canon camera. As always proceed at your own risk when moving anything in or out of your system folder.
James9

Postby drobertson » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:39 pm

We finally get the update and Apple goes and breaks it. That's gotta be frustrating to the Capture One developers, you can't win..

3.7.8 still tethers well to canon booting in 10.4.11 for what it's worth if you have that option.

Dave
drobertson

Postby Gilbert1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:01 am

Here, C1P 3.7.8 and Mac OS X 10.5.2 works outstanding! I shoot tethered with a Canon 1Ds on a Macbook Pro (intel core2duo).

Great job, phase one developers! Thanks for the update.
Gilbert1

tethering and 10.5.2

Postby Andrew13 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:46 pm

there seems to still be a few new bug created buy the os update from apple, I am guessing there may be a fight between image capture and c1 pro. other camera applications, namely Leaf capture 11 are instructing users to re install the program after the update

\"If you change your Mac® operating system, or if you revert to a previous version, for example, if you upgrade from Mac OS 10.4.x (Tiger) to 10.5.x (Leopard), you must remove your current Leaf Capture 11 version by clicking Uninstall in the Leaf Capture installer, and then reinstall Leaf Capture 11.0.2. This process ensures compatibility between the Apple® FireWire® driver, the Leaf Capture software, and your Leaf digital camera back.\"

this I have not tried with c1 pro yet perhaps today
Andrew13

Re: tethering and 10.5.2

Postby Stephen11 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:55 pm

I installed C1 3.7.8 after installing an erase and install \"Leopard\" and the update, and still have no connection...
Stephen11

Postby ejf » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:01 pm

I work with MacBook and OS X 10.5.2 and my Canon 1Ds sometimes does connect with Capture One 3.7.8 and sometimes doesn't?!
So I don't think it is just an 1Ds MK II thing and apparently not just a Leopard upgrade problem either...
ejf

Postby Gilbert1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:54 pm

I only have C1P 3.7.8 and Mac OS X 10.5.2 installed on my macbook pro. No other Canon software is installed on this computer. Tethered shooting with the Canon 1Ds works fine.

Maybe this information helps other people to isolate or solve the problem. In my case, no other programs battle for connection with the camera.
Gilbert1

Postby ejf » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:58 am

I removed the canon software (remote capture) and it worked fine, once. Then again, mostly no connection, sometimes lucky. Tried all the other 'solutions' on this threat without succes. I did notice this in the activity monitor when connection fails:
'CaptureAgent (does not respond) 0,2 5 15,61 MB 973,35 MB PowerPC' which seems logical on an intel based mac book.
Anybody any idea?
F.Y.I, I could not connect to remote capture anymore either, which worked fine before the C1P update and the OSX update.
ejf

Postby ejf » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:40 pm

I seem to have made a mistake in trying the solution from jbphoto88.
If you follow that description it just copy's the Type8Camera Unix file to the documents folder (which is good as back-up perhaps?). But then I moved the file to the dustbin using the task button in the finder.
Things are working again for me, hope others are helped this way as well.
ejf

Postby drobertson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:48 pm

Hi, if Ulf is reading does Phase endorse this solution, will there be any issues if you also use a phase back for example, or is there an official fix in the works?

Thanks,
Dave
drobertson

Postby derek1 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:45 pm

jbphoto88 wrote:"What you can do is set Image Capture Prefs to "No Application" in the "When Camera is connected, open" option. Then close image capture and reconnect he camera.

I have had this disabled for some time so perhaps that is the root problem here? We will of course continue to investigate should this not be the solution for everyone."

That doesn't seem to be the problem with my setup. I've always had that set to no application. I have had luck either quitting the type8camera process in the activity monitor, or moving the unix executable file. Doing the latter no longer requires you to quit the process in activity monitor. You can find it at
system/library/image capture/devices/Type8Camera. You can't alter or move it but if you right click and tell the finder to show package contents, you can see the contents/MacOS folders. I moved the unix file in there to my documents folder and haven't had any more problems.

It seems like this is somewhat isolated to the canon 1ds MKII. I don't know what that unix file does but it kills your connection with a canon camera. As always proceed at your own risk when moving anything in or out of your system folder.

Thanks for this all working great now

Derek
derek1

Postby Ulf » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:57 pm

Background:

Apple has started to offer tethered support with Aperture 2.0 , the support is not in Aperture itself but in the application Image Capture which is a part of Mac OS.
The support for the DSLRs has been implemented in Mac OS 10.5.2

Problem:

When connecting a camera, Image capture will launch silently (Background) and identify the camera and launch the correct support Library.
Canon DSLRs are controlled by the file:
/System/Library/Image Capture/Devices/Type8Camera

Solution:

If you after connecting your camera go in to Activity Monitor and shut this service down (Or kill it in Terminal) Capture One will connect fine to the camera.
It does not matter in my test if you launch Capture One before or after killing this service.

As a more permanent solution, you can copy the file:
/System/Library/Image Capture/Devices/Type8Camera
To your home directory (Authentication required) this is just to back up the file.
Then delete the file “Type8Camera” from the Image Capture/Devices/ directory.
Now the device service cannot launch and you can use Capture One fully. But also note that this will disable the tethered support in Aperture until the file is restored.

Note that this ONLY affect connection to Canon camera and not Phase One backs.

A Knowledge base article will be up soon.
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Stephen11 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:10 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for sorting this out, done everything as Ulf has suggested above and it all works like a dream.

Steve
Stephen11

Postby Ulf » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:13 am

Here is the knowledge base article as promised

http://www.phaseone.com/HOME/Content/Su ... 20-%20Main
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Leopard, Capture One 3.7.8, and the Canon 5D

Postby Keith71 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm currently looking to upgrade to either the brand new MacBook Pro that was just released, or the model that was current before this week. Either way, they use Leopard and I'm leery of giving myself a headache given all the postings I've been reading. Call me a neophyte, but I guess when I spend all this money on both soft & hardware, I somehow expect the software engineers to have worked out all the bugs! I just want to shoot! Not engineer software repairs!

Can someone give me either assurances (or not) as to whether now is the time? I just want to tether to the 5D, and it's never been exactly smooth sailing.

Thanks,
KB
Keith71

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 3.x Software