Why does C1 Pro 3.7.7 keeps reverting to trial mode?

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

Why does C1 Pro 3.7.7 keeps reverting to trial mode?

Postby Henry1 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:25 am

I have had this happened to me 3 times since a new installation about 2 weeks ago. No hardware change, no new firewall etc. Luckily I have a backup of the main drive which I can roll back to. I also wonder if I can just roll back the directory where C1 Pro is installed and save a lot of time on the restore? Best would be it does not occur. I'm on Win XP.
===================
P1 645DF Camera / P30+
EOS 1Ds MKIII

===================
Henry1

Postby Jon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:20 pm

HG,

If you Right-click on the RAW file and choose open with Capture One this will revert Capture One to trial version.

If this is not the case are you using external SATA drives?
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby Henry1 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:00 pm

JonGilbert wrote:HG,

If you Right-click on the RAW file and choose open with Capture One this will revert Capture One to trial version.

If this is not the case are you using external SATA drives?

Yes Jon, I do have external SATA drives. How do I prevent this from happening?
===================
P1 645DF Camera / P30+
EOS 1Ds MKIII

===================
Henry1

Postby Jon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:06 pm

Essentially what you would need to do is have the same drives plugged in to your computer as when you register the software. What is happening is that the SATA drives are included as part of the hardware ID of the computer, Capture One uses this hardware ID to determine the uniqueness of the computer. Thus changing external SATA drives makes the system appear as a different computer and the registration codes no longer match.
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby Henry1 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:15 pm

JonGilbert wrote:Essentially what you would need to do is have the same drives plugged in to your computer as when you register the software. What is happening is that the SATA drives are included as part of the hardware ID of the computer, Capture One uses this hardware ID to determine the uniqueness of the computer. Thus changing external SATA drives makes the system appear as a different computer and the registration codes no longer match.

Thanks Jon. I hope this arrangement will not continue come C1 V4 Pro because it is clumpsy and unfriendly. External drives are normally meant for backups etc so may or may not be turned on.
===================
P1 645DF Camera / P30+
EOS 1Ds MKIII

===================
Henry1

Postby Jon » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:17 pm

True it is quite cumbersome on windows at times. There will be a new activation system for V4.
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby Henry1 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:21 pm

JonGilbert wrote:True it is quite cumbersome on windows at times. There will be a new activation system for V4.

That will be good. Thanks again Jon.
===================
P1 645DF Camera / P30+
EOS 1Ds MKIII

===================
Henry1

Postby artmanphoto » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:51 am

I am very glad to read that verson 4.0 will have a new type of activation. I too have had significan problems with C1 Pro reverting to trial for no apparent reason. I am using two Maxtor external drives for backup but they are Firewire 800 drives. I don't know if they are SATA drives if they are firewire 800.
Best Regards,

Bill
artmanphoto

Mine is still happening with and without the external drives

Postby Henry1 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:54 am

Mine is still happening with and without the external drives so I'm really pissed.
===================
P1 645DF Camera / P30+
EOS 1Ds MKIII

===================
Henry1

Postby Jon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:06 pm

HG,

Create a support case at support.phaseone.com and we will see if we can get to the bottom of this. In the case give us a description of your hardware set-up, any changes that you make to it, as well as your workflow for opening files in Capture One. A System info .nfo file would be a big help as well.

To get the NFO file:
Click Start button
Click Run menu item
In the Run box, type msinfo32.exe
When the System information window appears, select the menu “file”
Then select the menu item “save”.
Then type the file name system.nfo
Press the save button.
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby artmanphoto » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:19 pm

Jon;

With all due respect to your suggestion to create a support case with the NFO file, I have already done this with no success.

I have been fighting the revert to trial issue for a year and you support people have tried to help me every way they can including the NFO file. They just do not know why I am having this trouble. So I am hoping the new activation feature in version 4 will fix the problem.

Thanks!
Best Regards,

Bill
artmanphoto

Postby Jon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi Bill,

I have taken a look at your case and I certainly understand your frustration. I do want to mention for the sake of our readers that your case is a special one and an extremely rare one as there are only 2 o 3 cases like it. We have been able to solve 99.9% of all installation issues when the users were willing to follow our advice. The best way to find out is HG's case may be solved is to explore all facets of the situation and move forward.
Kind Regards,
Jon Gilbert
Phase One
Jon
Crew
Crew

Postby artmanphoto » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:22 am

Jon;

Thanks for your reply. Have a great week!
Best Regards,

Bill
artmanphoto

I got so fed up ....

Postby Henry1 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:23 am

and now I'm using my 3.7.7 as a hacked piece of software.

I found a crack to disable it from reverting to trial mode. What a shame that I have to resort to this after paying good money to buy a legitimate software. I truly hope that when V4 Pro comes out, this silly activation scheme will be abandoned.
===================
P1 645DF Camera / P30+
EOS 1Ds MKIII

===================
Henry1

Having similar a problem

Postby shapiso » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:02 am

I'm having a similar problem. I've added in an internal SATA disk as a new secondary drive, and now my software has reverted to trial mode (expired), and I cannot get anything done :(

Submitted a report to support, but I cannot visit the cases/ticket for update, when I click on my ticket for the update, it goes to a page that says

\"Error !

The error has been logged and System Administrator has been notified.

We apologize for the inconvenience\"

So what can I do to right now get my software working again?

Shapiso
shapiso

Next

Return to Capture One 3.x Software