Capture 3.x.x with Win7 is doable, & looks better than 6.x.x

Questions and comments regarding Capture One PRO/DB/LE for Mac and Windows

Capture 3.x.x with Win7 is doable, & looks better than 6.x.x

Postby cannga » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Just want to confirm that with Paul's help from a while ago, and the knowledge base article below, I have been able to load and use Capture 3.7.10 with my Windows 7, 32 bit machine Dell laptop. Note that there are 2 steps to do, and that even though the article mentioned Vista, it works for Win 7 as well.

As a self-admitted over-the-edge nutty shutter-bug/pixel peeper :lol: (who had removed the AA filter from one of my Canon bodies before it became popular with Nikon's recent release of D800 without one), I would also confirm that at least for the Canon 1D (only Canon's body with CCD sensor and sharpest/most transparent because of its weak AA filter), Capture 3.x.x. does look different (and vastly superior) to Capture 6.x.x , as far as sharpness/transparency is concerned, using same settings for sharpness. Color in shade also suffers severely with 6.x.x - shockingly different from 3.x.x, and no I am not crazy LOL. I've tried multiple settings and my conclusion is that you can't duplicate 3.x.x's "look" with 6.x.x, at least for the Canon 1D, even using that button with 6.x.x that supposedly duplicates 3.x.x's settings.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
http://www.phaseone.com/en/search/artic ... nguageid=1

The current version of Capture One PRO, 3.7.8, will on the new Windows Operating System, Vista, if you follow the workaround provided below:

1. Unpack Files into a directory
2. Look for the SetupPRO/LE.exe File
3. Right Click on File, choose Properties
4. Choose Tab Compatibility
5. Select Compatibility for Windows XP Service Pack 2.
6. Install

After installation you will have to:

1. Go in to c:\Program Files\Phase One\Capture One Pro2. Right click on CapturOne.exe
3. Choose Properties
4. Choose tab Compatibility.
5. Set a check mark in “Run this program as an administrator”
6. Click “OK”
cannga

Re: Capture 3.x.x with Win7 is doable, & looks better than 6.x.x

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:36 am

Feedback is always most welcome. Your setup description seems pretty accurate to me. Your observation regarding the Canon 1D is interesting although I am not sure it still stands against the new engine in CO7 which is awesome.

Enjoy your setup and make some nice images.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby cannga » Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:28 pm

I now have tested 3.x.x against 7.x.x as well, this time on Nikon D80. In case you wonder, I am a pixel peeper of the highest degree and take comparisons seriously LOL , always making sure all parameters are "equivalent". I have been a Capture One user for as long as I could remember, from its very early days :mrgreen:.

My observation continues to hold: at least for these older cameras that could be developed by ALL Capture One versions, from 3.x.x to 7.x.x, the pictures developed by 3.x.x always looks a touch more saturated and 3D, at default settings. For my amateur level work, 3.x.x continues to be my favorite because of its picture quality, ease of use, and speed.

Happy Holidays and a safe, healthy, happy New Year to all.
cannga

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Thank you cannga for the heads-up. Can we have a yearly update on new developments? :lol: :lol: :lol:
All the best for 2015!
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist, Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby cannga » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:26 pm

Hi Paul, what fascinates me is the fundamental mechanics of *how* and *why* in RAW development. Who determines what this particular set of raw data (a picture) is going to look like? For example, there are different choices (daylight, portrait), who determines that, the software writer (real, not rhetoric question)?

The difference is small but NOT subtle. And interestingly, 7.x.x could look like 3.x.x by increasing saturation 3% and contrast 1% for the case of the Nikon D80. Do you have an answer for my question on 7.x.x forum please, about the "erase all images" not available when importing pictures? TIA

Happy and safe New Year to you too!
cannga

Return to Capture One 3.x Software