Nikon D810 Support?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

Nikon D810 Support

Postby Peter Gruener » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi,

Currently I seem to be lucky with the update - which has not been always the case. All the features that I am currently using to process my RAW files are working fine with no crashes at all. Both on my MacBook Pro (late 2012) and my Mac Pro (2010).
I am just wondering as my Nikon D810 is already shipped if anyone knows how long it usually take to get an updated version that can process my RAW files. I'll temporarily will shoot RAW & JPGs.

Peter
Peter Gruener

Nikon D810 Support?

Postby BobRockefeller » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:48 pm

Is there an estimated date that C1 Pro will be able to handle RAW files from the D810? I wonder how different the format is compared to the D800.
BobRockefeller

Re: Nikon D810 Support?

Postby Keith Reeder » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:34 am

When it happens, Bob - Phase One does not pre-announce.
Keith Reeder

Postby Peter Gruener » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:34 am

Hi,

I am getting my D810 today but not expect a release of C1 Pro tomorrow to get my RAW files processed. I'll wait patiently and will use RAW and JPG in parallel.

Peter
Peter Gruener

Postby FredBGG » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:13 am

BobRockefeller wrote: I wonder how different the format is compared to the D800.

Could be very little difference.

I know that with the Fuji X-T! vs the x-em2 there was not much.
While it seems that a big deal is made about added camera support it takes very little to add a camera.

Before "support" for the X-T1 was added all you ad to do was use an exif editor to change a small item in the exif data and the files could be opened. Just changing the Camera parameter in the exif from X-T1 to x-em2 and the files would open.

On top of that the Camera profiles are to a certain point BS. For example if you want more accurate colors with the D800 do not use the D800 profile for your D800 shots, but use the IQ250. Makes you wonder what the heck is going on...
FredBGG

Postby Christian Gruner » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:37 am

FredBGG wrote:
BobRockefeller wrote: I wonder how different the format is compared to the D800.

While it seems that a big deal is made about added camera support it takes very little to add a camera.

Before "support" for the X-T1 was added all you ad to do was use an exif editor to change a small item in the exif data and the files could be opened. Just changing the Camera parameter in the exif from X-T1 to x-em2 and the files would open.

On top of that the Camera profiles are to a certain point BS. For example if you want more accurate colors with the D800 do not use the D800 profile for your D800 shots, but use the IQ250. Makes you wonder what the heck is going on...

As for camera-support, we don't pre-announce annoucements ;) But we of course know of the D810 and will act accordingly.

FredBCG, it funny how you know all about what it takes....

Yes, in some cases you can change exif-data and get it to "work". However, you will not get all the tweaka that are done during a proper-implementation. We spent a great of resources on implementing a to-be-supported camera, and nope it does not "take vey little effort" to do it properly.
Of course a few cameras are very a like, and some get more attention than others, but all receive their share of attention.

As for the camera color profiles, then it's hard to do a pleasing color profile for everyone.
With 7.2.3 we have a v2 profile for the D800/e, some still want to use the old, some want to use the new, extremely subjective.

But, please don't tell us "it's easy". We know what it takes.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby AAlain » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:10 am

To date, CNX2 partially opens the raw 810, the only one that works is "Irridient developer" (And Camera Raw 8.6 RC). a demo version is fully functional, pending the update of C1 :wink:
http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/rawdeveloper_download.html
AAlain

Postby BobRockefeller » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:As for camera-support, we don't pre-announce annoucements ;) But we of course know of the D810 and will act accordingly.

There can be no doubt that PhaseOne is working on D810 support. They are not crazy.

I just hope PhaseOne gets access to the new RAW format information at least equal to Adobe, Iridient and the others.
BobRockefeller

Postby FredBGG » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:
FredBGG wrote:

As for camera-support, we don't pre-announce annoucements ;) But we of course know of the D810 and will act accordingly.

FredBCG, it funny how you know all about what it takes....

Yes, in some cases you can change exif-data and get it to "work". However, you will not get all the tweaka that are done during a proper-implementation. We spent a great of resources on implementing a to-be-supported camera, and nope it does not "take vey little effort" to do it properly.
Of course a few cameras are very a like, and some get more attention than others, but all receive their share of attention.

As for the camera color profiles, then it's hard to do a pleasing color profile for everyone.
With 7.2.3 we have a v2 profile for the D800/e, some still want to use the old, some want to use the new, extremely subjective.

But, please don't tell us "it's easy". We know what it takes.

Well say what you want as well as mis quote me.....

But for those that are interested I am opening Nikon D810 files in Capture One by simply editing the exif data of the NEF files changing the camera from Nikon D810 to Nikon D800. Files open just fine and if you do't use Phase One's so so default profile for the Nikon D800, but use the IQ250 profile (that is a better sony sensor profile) the files look just fine.

Here is an exif editor that can easily batch edit the camera name field.

http://exifeditorapp.com

It can be reversed at a later date if necessary.
FredBGG

Postby ChristianLouw » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:17 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:With 7.2.3 we have a v2 profile for the D800/e

Interesting. Are there any other (un-announced) improved profiles with 7.2.3?
ChristianLouw

Postby FredBGG » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:56 am

ChristianLouw wrote:

It's like version 1, but redder skin tones.

Neither are accurate skin tones.
FredBGG

Postby Christian Gruner » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:18 am

FredBGG wrote:
ChristianLouw wrote:

So, what are accurate in your mind ? Also, you have to use it with the V2 filmcurve as well, as this is what is has been built for.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby BobRockefeller » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:33 pm

FredBGG wrote:But for those that are interested I am opening Nikon D810 files in Capture One by simply editing the exif data of the NEF files changing the camera from Nikon D810 to Nikon D800. Files open just fine and if you do't use Phase One's so so default profile for the Nikon D800, but use the IQ250 profile (that is a better sony sensor profile) the files look just fine.

Perhaps the D800 and D810 RAW file formats are more the same than other similar cameras. Or perhaps I'm missing out on a lot of optimizations. But whatever, ExifEditor and a quick tweak to the camera name in the file has Capture One Pro opening the files just fine.

I'll be looking forward to official D810 support so I can compare this method vs. the correct method in terms of output.

In the meantime...
BobRockefeller

Postby FredBGG » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:41 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:

So, what are accurate in your mind ? Also, you have to use it with the V2 filmcurve as well, as this is what is has been built for.[/quote]

What are accurate skin tones? Very simple. They are the skin tones of the subject in front of the camera chosen for their
appearance, excellent skin and then painstakingly made up by an expert makeup artist to look just perfect. Then what is required is a profile that accurately reproduces the correct colors as the best starting point for post production.

Nothing wrong with having "so called" film curves to stylize the look or even complete stylized profiles, but it would be more professional to include an accurate profile.

Tanning skin profiles are not ideal in many situations. The brownish treatment looks weird on a red head or certain blond complexions.
FredBGG

Postby BobRockefeller » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:58 pm

BobRockefeller wrote:
FredBGG wrote:But for those that are interested I am opening Nikon D810 files in Capture One by simply editing the exif data of the NEF files changing the camera from Nikon D810 to Nikon D800. Files open just fine and if you do't use Phase One's so so default profile for the Nikon D800, but use the IQ250 profile (that is a better sony sensor profile) the files look just fine.

Perhaps the D800 and D810 RAW file formats are more the same than other similar cameras. Or perhaps I'm missing out on a lot of optimizations. But whatever, ExifEditor and a quick tweak to the camera name in the file has Capture One Pro opening the files just fine.

But Aperture is not fooled by the EXIF name change and refuses to display the file. :(
BobRockefeller

Next

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software