Aperture reset and changing

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 DF / DF+ and Mamiya 645 DF / DF+
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Aperture reset and changing

Postby Andy P » Thu May 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi
Our studio recently purchased a couple of 645 DF plus bodies with IQ280 backs,the lenses are either Phase One 120 macros or 80mm Schneiders and we are running these with Capture One 7 (some of our computers are unable to run Mavericks/Yosemite) .

We are getting a reccurring problem which is- for no reason whatsoever (during tethered shooting) the lens will reset to its maximum aperture ,this usually doesn't cause too much of an issue as it is very apparent on screen and you just re-stop down the lens ,but on occasion will happen at the very worst moment and recently cost me very dearly during a shot with liquid moving where my perfect shot was totally overexposed

Sometimes with one of the cameras/backs the aperture will also move a third of a stop or so- we put this down to probable user error, but have recently realised that its been happening to several Photographers using that particular camera /lens combo.

Apart from this we love the cameras ,but before I start getting involved with our dealer I thought I would put this out there and see if anyone else is having similar issues or knows what is causing it?

Thanks in advance
Andy
Andy P

Re: Aperture reset and changing

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Thu May 14, 2015 6:47 pm

I have no clue what might cause your issues, but suggest (if not already done) to get a clear view on the variables. Does it occur with the 80mm or 120mm only, or both? In case you have multiple copies of the same type of lens is there any way to determine which copy has the issue? Same for camera body (exif data might help, like s/n, not sure). And so on.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Andy P » Thu May 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks for the reply Paul
The cameras are 98 percent of the time used with the 120 macros, , it is certainly happening every day on the 120 macro that I usually use ,today it happened three times during the days shooting which is very common .
I hired a IQ180 for a shoot before we got our cameras on another job and I can recall it happened with that as well,that was with a 110 Schneider

I was kind of thinking that this must be a common issue with them?

I tend to use one of the camera/macro combinations I will speak to my colleague tomorrow and maybe swap macros for a few days and see what happens,I know he has been having similar problems with his camera/lens combination.
Andy P

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Fri May 22, 2015 8:41 pm

Does swapping lenses with a colleague give any new insights?
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Andy P » Sat May 23, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi Paul
It hasn't happened yet. We are really busy currently and I have had my mind on other things
My colleague tells me it hasn't been happening with his setup recently.

I have been shooting fashion with it for the last two days using the 120 macro ,set on sensor plus (so quite a lot of images)

Day one it was fine all day
Day two it went to f4 once ,I didn't notice as i had my eye to the viewfinder,but my client certainly did as they were watching the computer screen.
It also managed to open the lens by a third stop, for no reason at one point.

I will try and do that lens swap next week and let you know the outcome.

cheers
Andy
Andy P

Postby Ulf » Thu May 28, 2015 7:55 am

This is a lens detection issue after body goes to sleep mode.

This has been resolved with
DF+ firmware 2.31
DF firmware 1.59

Contact local Phase One partner for firmware upgrade if you do not have a V-Grip your self.
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Andy P » Sat May 30, 2015 10:11 pm

Thanks Ulf

I'm not sure if that would fix it as the problem as it's happening during a shoot where ,the camera hasn't a chance to fall asleep.
A typical situation might be photographing a model the first three shots are all at f11 then for no reason the camera changes to f4 on shot 4 ,when the camera is very much awake.

I eventually did swap lenses with my colleague last week and the problem went away with the 120mm for me and also didn't happen to him either.

I swapped to my 80mm for on Friday and it happened once with that lens/body combo.

The cameras were only purchased in January of this year ,so I am guessing that the firmware upgrade must be a new one?
We don't have the v-grip so I will need to contact our dealer for the firmware upgrade ,its a small but irritating problem, it would be great to fix it as the cameras are much loved otherwise.

Cheers
Andy
Andy P

Postby Andy P » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:46 pm

The problem is happening with the other lens on the camera now,so i am guessing its a body issue.
I checked the camera firmware which was 2.27 and the back which is 5.14.29

I'm currently having problems finding out what the current firmware number is ,as I need to borrow the grip to download it,does anyone know if my firmware is the most current or not? I'm guessing that a firmware upgrade might hep in some way

Thanks
Andy
Andy P

Postby Ulf » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Current firmware on DF+ is 2.31
And IQ it is 5.20
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Postby Andy P » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks Ulf-looks like I am out of date on the firmware.
I will upgrade when I get hold of a grip from our dealer sometime -hopefully soon!

Cheers
Andy
Andy P

Postby NNN636981600252616217 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:05 am

Hello all, I have sold a phase one 645Df camera with 80mm LS lens, The customer is having problem with the camera or lens, the aPERTURE can’t seem to stop down, getting exposure errors meaning exposure not correct, 1/8 s at 5.6 is over Expose, and when use 0.5s f11 everything seem correct, I am wondering is that a setting in the camera, allow me to set the aperture “doesn’t stop down” or if the customer set it wrong how does he reset that setting. Thank you, any help will be very helpful.
NNN636981600252616217

Return to Phase One 645DF and DF+ / Mamiya 645DF and DF+