DNG

Questions, comments and suggestions regarding Phase One P+ series and P series digital camera backs.

DNG

Postby aaanorton » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:59 am

First, thank you Phase for hosting this forum. I hope it proves to be a very useful resource.

I'd like to get started by requesting full DNG support from all P and H series (at least) backs from Phase. I think that Phase could make their RAW files compatible with the Adobe DNG Converter, or (better yet) allow their backs to write DNGs directly. This would be an invaluable benefit in a number of ways and downright mandatory in others.
I know the whole DNG thing is new, but I hope that at least a plan is announced soon. I look forward to anyone's feedback on this matter.
aaanorton

Postby FlemmingHandberg » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:06 am

Best Regards
Flemming Handberg
Phase One Support, DK
FlemmingHandberg
Crew
Crew

Postby aaanorton » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:26 pm

Well that sucks.
So Phase is turning its back on Adobe and DNG for its backs and going it alone... What a bad idea. Leaf already provides support for this new format from their backs. I'm afraid I will have to switch brands for my next back purchase. I currently have 2 P25s on order, but that will be it for me if this doesn't change. I run a digital capture business and plan to operate a small fleet of capture systems. I will not base this fleet on a shortsighted, proprietary format.
aaanorton

Postby Ulf » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:39 am

I believe that is quite important tom emphasize that we have not turned our back to DNG, quite the opposite. We have taken one step in that direction and then we will see what the future might bring. You have to keep in mind the DNG is a new thing, a new \"hype\" if you so would like, it seem like a great concept and we would of course like to see where this standard is going, by today date there has been several \"standards\" that is gone and never became anything. We believe this is one that can go somewhere and that is why we have chosen to take the first step.
Kind Regards
Ulf Liljegren
Phase One
Ulf
Crew
Crew

Planet Adobe

Postby damienlovegrove » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:42 pm

In my opinion Adobe is aiming to take over the planet just like Microsoft tried to do a decade ago. ID is ousting Quark, Pshop is keeping all competitors at bay and PDF is everywhere. A common RAW standard is a good idea though, and development of DNG is very much welcomed. However I'm not archiving in any RAW format because of legacy issues. 16 bit Tiff for the keepers is right for us at the moment with one DVD per Job. Although I'm open to suggestions for alternatives. Once tweaked in C1 the P25 images are so fantastic. It's such a joy to be using great kit, and that includes C1.
damienlovegrove
DB Owner

DNG may be the THING

Postby Peer.Schmid » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:10 pm

DNG may be the thing - because it's from Adobe (hey, it's not Microsoft - this is the company with products that really work as solid as a tank!). Adobe is big enouth to keep this standard going and relyable enough to trust this format even it's new. I'll definitly test it very hard and I'was glad when I heard that Phas One will support this new standard.
Peer.Schmid

Return to Phase One P+ and P series camera backs